• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parking Lot ACCIDENT

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Doyola

What is the name of your state? New York

So here's what happened hopefully someone can give me some advice. I pulled out of the parking lot in my school, I did an initial look to make sure that no one was behind me and began to pull out. I was going 5 mi/hr and after pulling out for no more than 5 seconds I heard a thump upon turning around I found that I had backed into the passenger door of a 99 camry. I pulled up to look at the damage. Some of his paint had gotten onto my car, a small dent in his door, but just obviously missing paint on his side of the door. He took my name address, phone number and license id #. We didn't think or bother to make a police report bc it didn't seem worth it at the time. He gave me his phone number and address. I told him that i really didn't want to go through insurance in order to avoid an increase in both of our premiums. I told him that I would be willing to pay for the painting of his passanger door since that was all the damage that was done. I'm hoping that this will blow over and that nothing will really come of it. My fears are:

1: Will he be able to make a police report since he didn't take down my plate or make a police report?
2. Since he was probably speeding through the parking lot, if we do decide to go through insurance is there any chance that I will be accused of being more at fault?
3. Is there any way that I can deny being in the accident if he tries to screw me over later at any point? (he had 3 witnesses in his car, I had none)...

I would appreciate any kind of feedback. Thanks :(

moburkes

What is the name of your state? New York

So here's what happened hopefully someone can give me some advice. I pulled out of the parking lot in my school, I did an initial look to make sure that no one was behind me and began to pull out. I was going 5 mi/hr and after pulling out for no more than 5 seconds I heard a thump upon turning around I found that I had backed into the passenger door of a 99 camry. I pulled up to look at the damage. Some of his paint had gotten onto my car, a small dent in his door, but just obviously missing paint on his side of the door. He took my name address, phone number and license id #. We didn't think or bother to make a police report bc it didn't seem worth it at the time. He gave me his phone number and address. I told him that i really didn't want to go through insurance in order to avoid an increase in both of our premiums. I told him that I would be willing to pay for the painting of his passanger door since that was all the damage that was done. I'm hoping that this will blow over and that nothing will really come of it. My fears are:

1: Will he be able to make a police report since he didn't take down my plate or make a police report?
2. Since he was probably speeding through the parking lot, if we do decide to go through insurance is there any chance that I will be accused of being more at fault?
3. Is there any way that I can deny being in the accident if he tries to screw me over later at any point? (he had 3 witnesses in his car, I had none)...

I would appreciate any kind of feedback. Thanks :(
1. Oftentimes, the police won't accept this police report since there were no injuries and it was on private property.
2. You will be 100% at fault.
3. I suppose that he could come up all sorts of reasons of how he got your driver license #.

MandyD

1. Oftentimes, the police won't accept this police report since there were no injuries and it was on private property.

Ditto!
2. You will be 100% at fault.

Double Ditto!! What makes you think you aren't 100% at fault?? You clearly backed into him.

3. I suppose that he could come up all sorts of reasons of how he got your driver license #.

Ditto!
One more note, since he wasn't at fault, his insurance rates wouldn't increase. Don't forget about the dent you caused. A little paint won't repair the dent.

ecmst12

You could deny being in the accident, but you'd be lying. An examination of the damage to his car and your car would prove it. It would be extremely stupid.

As the reversing driver, you had the greatest duty to yield to traffic traveling behind you. It makes no difference if he was speeding and you have no idea if he was anyway because you didn't see him until after you hit him!

seagoing

It is what it is.Give the guy a call,ask if he got any estimates.In themean time,if you know anyone with connetions in paint and auto body repair,see if you can find a guesstimate of what it may cost.Hopefully the guy is honest and you wont be ripped off.If you think he is being dishonest,speak to a body shop yourself and tell him you want an estimate from YOUR guy.Is is car his sweet little honey,or a getto cruiser?if it has previous battle scars,he may just ask for a few bucks to move on.Whatever it is,don't freak out .If he comes up with an outrageous request,mention your guy again.

MikeKV

It is what it is.Give the guy a call,ask if he got any estimates.In themean time,if you know anyone with connetions in paint and auto body repair,see if you can find a guesstimate of what it may cost.Hopefully the guy is honest and you wont be ripped off.If you think he is being dishonest,speak to a body shop yourself and tell him you want an estimate from YOUR guy.Is is car his sweet little honey,or a getto cruiser?if it has previous battle scars,he may just ask for a few bucks to move on.Whatever it is,don't freak out .If he comes up with an outrageous request,mention your guy again.
I would add that if you call the guy tell him you would be willing to cover his costs if he tries to get at least 2 estimates. Then one way or another pay for the damages. You don't want to inconvenience the guy since it was 100% your fault. Also, since it was your fault I don't think that it would be fair that you offer to use YOUR autobody place. You need to let him use his which could mean a dealership.

After all this it is very possible to avoid contacting insurances as long as you (being the guilty party) offer to pay all damages. I once backed out of a driveway where a neighbor's friend parked directly behind our driveway. While it was inconsiderate to park behind my driveway it was still my fault. I offered to pay. He got an estimate that we both agreed on and I gave him a check.

moburkes

The not at fault party is not required to get 2 estimates. The not at fault party loses nothing by filing the claim with the at fault party's insurance company or suing him in court.

MikeKV

The not at fault party is not required to get 2 estimates. The not at fault party loses nothing by filing the claim with the at fault party's insurance company or suing him in court.
You're right. Thanks for pointing that out. I should have mentioned that. I suggested 2 to be sure that the not at fault party was getting fair estimates.

Also, if the at fault party deals with the situation professionally and cordially insurance companies can be avoided...in the interest of the at fault party. Is that correct moburkes?

moburkes

You're right. Thanks for pointing that out. I should have mentioned that. I suggested 2 to be sure that the not at fault party was getting fair estimates.

Also, if the at fault party deals with the situation professionally and cordially insurance companies can be avoided...in the interest of the at fault party. Is that correct moburkes?
A-B-S-O-L-U-T-E-L-Y!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">