• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

hypothetical

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

boyo99

What is the name of your state? DE

let's say hypothetically, a person were pulling out of a parking lot. there is a cross walk to the right and a wall/fence to the left. the driver looks left, looks right, waits for a car to pass and then starts to pull out (without hitting gas, simply releasing the brakes).

out of the corner of the driver's eye, he sees a cyclist coming full speed from the left. he hits the brakes, but the nose of the car bumps the biker's back wheel and he flips off the bike. the driver immediately puts the car in park and gets out. he first asks if the biker is ok, and the biker responds that he is fine. the driver then picks up the bike and helps the biker over to the sidewalk.

the driver repeatedly asks the biker if he is fine, which all responses are yes. he looks dismayed, but has no apparent injuries. "I'll be fine as long as my chain pops back on," he says, and it does. the driver asks several times if the biker would like a ride to where he is going, all of which are responded to in the negative. The biker asks at one point if the driver's car is ok, and the driver replies "That doesn't matter, are you ok?" (There are several scratches on the car from the bicycle). After apologizing several times and asking several more times if the biker is ok (all of which are affirmative), the biker says to "Be more careful next time," and then walks away with his bike. The driver gets in his car and leaves. No information is exchanged, but there were many witnesses at the crosswalk and in the cars behind the driver.

Could the biker bring any sort of suit against the driver? Since the driver went to lengths to see if the driver was hurt or if he needed a ride, all of which were negative, could the driver still bring any sort of suit?

racer72

Talk about coincidence. A friend of mine was riding his bike and was hit by a car that barely pulled out in front of him. He said he wasn't hurt and went on his way. When he got home he was a lot more injured than he thought and will likely have thousands in medical bills. He got the license number of the car and plans to talk to an attorney soon, he wants to sue for big bucks. He is going to school in Delaware, he hopes this won't interfere with his schooling.

fairisfair

Talk about coincidence. A friend of mine was riding his bike and was hit by a car that barely pulled out in front of him. He said he wasn't hurt and went on his way. When he got home he was a lot more injured than he thought and will likely have thousands in medical bills. He got the license number of the car and plans to talk to an attorney soon, he wants to sue for big bucks. He is going to school in Delaware, he hopes this won't interfere with his schooling.
EW!!!! I wonder if your "friends" know each other. . . . ;):p Now if your friend had been hypothetically riding his bike, I would say it's a given. LOL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">