• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Buyers Remorse

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

DEDEE ROYALE

I operate a bridal shop in NH and all imvoices are printed "non-refundanble deposit" and signed by the consumer. One bride bought a gown which needed some alterations. After some of the work had been completed by my staff, she postpones the origianl wedding date and asks if I would hold the gown until she notified me of a new date. Our receipts also state 30 day limit for layaways but I agree to extend it, believing it would only be a few extra months. 6 months pass and the bride makes several shop visits (6 in all) and each time she would make accessory purchases and also try on the dress. A few minor alterations were left to be done. Finally after 11 months had expired she finally picks up the dress without trying it on. She phones a week later to complain about the "alterations" plus stated that she refused to wear it and was going out to buy another gown. I told her to bring it back and I'd fix it but she flatly refused and instead wanted a complete refund including all the alteration fees. I refused to comply. She ultimately purchased another gown, which I believe she found before her complaint to me. (Buyers Remorse) Is she justified in getting a refund after 11 months of storage, and when she refused my offer to "make things right"? DeDee

D

David J. Miller

I don't think you owe her a refund.

But, as my disclaimer says, I'm not a lawyer.

What my disclaimer doesn't say that it probably should say though is that my best friends dad is a lawyer and I spend lot's of time with my friend and his dad. We talk about all sorts of things. Sometimes, we even talk about the law. Last night we spent several hours talking about how poorly the Vikings played in their game against NYG. We didn't spend much time talking about the law this time, but next time I'm sure it'll come up. (Just kidding)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">