• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

speeding in PA, stopped in NY

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Strive

What is the name of your state? PA

I was pulled over in NY a few mles past the state line by a PA cop for speeding, he says in PA but I know I was not going what he says I was as I watch my speedometer. I told him that and he said he would not have stopped me if I had not been speeding.

At the time he stopped me, I was doing 55, give or take a couple mph. I need to see the PA Magistrate on Monday to request a court date and would like to be able to write a worthy letter. Ideally, he will just throw it out. If the cop does have jurisdiction in NY, how can I find that out? If he does not have jurisdiction, how can I word that? In either case, I would like to request proof that the cop had jurisdiction in NY without making anybody mad.

I was NOT going 71, as the officer says. I watch my speed as I have already gotten one ticket this year and cannot afford any more points on my license.

Thank you!

Warm Regards,
Strive

moburkes

If you were speeding in PA, then he can stop you in NY for the PA violation.

When was the last time your speedometer was calibrated?

Strive

Hi moburkes,

thank you very much for your reply

I think my speedometer is accurate -- whenever I pass one of those digital signs that says how fast you are going, it is the same as what I see.

Is it possible that someone else was doing that speed that maybe looked like my van? It was at least a few miles before he came up behind me (since I was a few miles into NY), so he could not have kept me in his sight. I do not know how their equipment works and my van is old and does not have any tracking technology built into it.

When I was traveling back, I saw him in hot pursuit of someone else ... did not see any speeding vehicle, only him with his flashing lights, traveling about 1-1/2 times as fast as the rest of the cars.

Am I just supposed to pay them even though I know it could not be right? What defense do we have?

Thank you!

Strive

Strive

All I know is that he used something electronic ... I'll find out more on Monday but it will be too late to get advice after that because it is my hearing.

I think it is ironic that he listed me going 16 miles over the limit -- just high enough to bump me into the 4-point bracket.

I am curious to see his "evidence" -- think it is an honest mistake on his part but now that he has ticketed me, he is not going to back down. He knows I am going to dispute him, I told him when he stopped me that I knew I was not speeding. At least he was nice and even gave me directions to the magistrate's office.

ecmst12

It should say on your ticket how they determined it. And when you go to court they will probably offer you a reduced offense if you plead guilty. If you can't PROVE that you were not speeding, I would suggest you take the deal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">