• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

rental car insurance coverage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

randomguy

What is the name of your state? California

Quick question, i am putting my car in for body repair, and was wondering if my insurance covers my rental car or do i need to buy rental car liability insurance?

TIA

ecmst12

Your insurance will cover you in the rental car. If you don't carry comp/collision on your regular car, though, you should get that coverage from the rental company to cover you for any damage you might do to the rental car.

randomguy

Your insurance will cover you in the rental car. If you don't carry comp/collision on your regular car, though, you should get that coverage from the rental company to cover you for any damage you might do to the rental car.
thanks for reply i got full coverage on my car.

JETX

thanks for reply i got full coverage on my car.
Sorry, but the previous answers you have received are likely NOT correct. NO ONE can answer your question without knowing WHY you are putting the car in the shop.
Was it the result of a car accident??
And if so, was the accident YOUR fault or the other drivers?

randomguy

Sorry, but the previous answers you have received are likely NOT correct. NO ONE can answer your question without knowing WHY you are putting the car in the shop.
Was it the result of a car accident??
And if so, was the accident YOUR fault or the other drivers?
I did not know it made a different whos fault it's being that it's my car insurance and i will be renting the car.

Yes, it was a result of the accident, I was not at fault in the accident. Can you please explain why it makes a difference? and what would happen if it was my fault?

ecmst12

It doesn't make a difference WHY he is renting the car. Yes, you should read through your policy, or call customer service to make sure, but any policy should cover you while driving your car or any car you rent, at the very least.

moburkes

It doesn't make a difference WHY he is renting the car. Yes, you should read through your policy, or call customer service to make sure, but any policy should cover you while driving your car or any car you rent, at the very least.
No, they don't all cover that. With one of the companies I used to represent, it depended on why (car in the shop, yes, going on vacation, no) and what state you lived in.

JETX

I did not know it made a different whos fault it's being that it's my car insurance and i will be renting the car.
If it is YOUR insurance, you need to read your policy to see if you have rental car coverage. It is NOT automatic.

Yes, it was a result of the accident, I was not at fault in the accident. Can you please explain why it makes a difference?
It makes a difference for several reasons:
1) Your original post makes NO mention as to why the car needed repair. For all we know, you were putting it into the shop for a tuneup. If that were the case, insurance would NOT provide a rental car.
2) If your car repair was due to someone elses liability, then your claim on THEIR insurance should include the rental car reimbursement.
3) If your car repair is due to YOUR liability, then you have to read your policy.
Understand??

and what would happen if it was my fault?
See above.

ecmst12

He's not asking if his insurance will PAY for the rental car. He's asking if his insurance will COVER HIM when he's driving the rental car.

moburkes

He's not asking if his insurance will PAY for the rental car. He's asking if his insurance will COVER HIM when he's driving the rental car.
Right. He wants to know if his coverages transfer to the rental. And, my previous answer was based on that being what he was asking.

JETX

Damn, sure as hell missed that one, huh?? :D

Yes, your regular insurance should cover you during your rental car period. Also, most 'premium' credit cards also provide coverage if you put the charge on their card.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">