• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Caused an accident, no liability.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lseibt

Washington State. Several years ago, in my irresponsible youth, I caused an accident (rear-ended a stopped car) while driving without liability insurance. I was at fault, and new I would have to pay whatever penalty may be involved. The resulting insurance claim through Farmer's insurance (the injured party had comprehensive) initially totaled $14,000 and change. I've never been in contact with Farmers, the billing is done through a third party processor. I've been making payments for a couple years now, but on my latest statement, the total due jumped to over $69,000. I'm guessing as a result of medical bills. I've still never been in contact with Farmers Insurance, and I will pay what I have to, but I'm wondering how bad this could get? I'm making payments as agreed, but as it stands it will take 30 years to pay it off. I can't believe the billing/insurance companies would just let this slide, even if I am paying as agreed. Should I expect any legal action?

moburkes

Washington State. Several years ago, in my irresponsible youth, I caused an accident (rear-ended a stopped car) while driving without liability insurance. I was at fault, and new I would have to pay whatever penalty may be involved. The resulting insurance claim through Farmer's insurance (the injured party had comprehensive) initially totaled $14,000 and change. I've never been in contact with Farmers, the billing is done through a third party processor. I've been making payments for a couple years now, but on my latest statement, the total due jumped to over $69,000. I'm guessing as a result of medical bills. I've still never been in contact with Farmers Insurance, and I will pay what I have to, but I'm wondering how bad this could get? I'm making payments as agreed, but as it stands it will take 30 years to pay it off. I can't believe the billing/insurance companies would just let this slide, even if I am paying as agreed. Should I expect any legal action?
What are you saying that they let slide?

lseibt

It just seems like with that amount of money owed($69k), they would pursue me more aggressively than just allowing me to pay $200 a month.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">