• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cartooned?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mbb

Copyright or Trademark?

According to the United States Coyright Offices's Circular 44 about Cartoons and Comic Strips I understand that the cartoon strips themselves are copyrightable. I'm questioning the characters, the names, and the title of the comic strip. It states that there are limitations depending on state, common or trademark laws. For these parts of the comic strip, should and can they be trademarked since it sounds like being copyrighted is limiting. If anybody can shed any light on this I would appreciate it. Some of this is very confusing.

ALawyer

Sure. Peanuts is trademarked by Charles Schultz' interests. I can't use a Peanuts character in a cartoon or story or movie.

The drawings themselves are copyright. I can't use the same words in the bubble with a set of different looking and different named charcters.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">