• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No actual collision

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

socalhelpneeded

What is the name of your state? California

So I was driving today and this rich guy with an Infiniti M35x decided to speed down the lane that I was in the process of switching over into. My car did not hit his car. He braked hard and pulled off the side of the road where his $425 a piece rims got chipped on a curb. There was no need to swerve off the road, I quickly pulled back to the original lane. I exchanged insurance and info with the man. Am I at fault? Do I have to pay $850+ to replace his rims?

ecmst12

If you were trying to merge into the lane that HE was already established in (regardless of his speed), then you are at fault. Report it to your insurance company and let them take care of it.

efflandt

Did you signal in advance of your lane change, and was he behind or next to you when you started to move over? I sounds like you may have neglected to notice him already there or gaining on you when you made your move, which could be considered "failure to yield" on your part.

seniorjudge

So I was driving today and this guy decided to speed down the lane that I was in the process of switching over into.

According to your facts, you are guilty.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">