• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

mother moved in with me and built on to my home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

divorcebound

What is the name of your state? TN

Not sure if I am posting in the right forum.
I need some help. My father passed away 2 years ago and my mother has problems with credit card debt. She is on a fixed income and was not able to swing the house payment, all her bills plus utilities and property taxes etc. She is disabled, and if she doesn't have the lap band done to loose weight to be approved for back surgery, she will wind up in a wheel chair. She begged that she sell her home and take the equity out of her home which was 50 K and put into my home and build her a home to live until her passing. I have done this and in doing so, the addition for her is built to be handicap accessible in the event this will happen. I had to go infront of the appeal board in my county and plead my case to get a 7 ft variance in the back of my property and ended up having to take an additional 8 K of my own money to finish it up to pass inspection. I do her shopping, I try to help her with cleaning her home, and running errands for her. All she gives me now is half of the utilities (elec, phone, water, trash, cable) which averages to be around $185.00 per month. The rest of her income of 1100.00 per month is hers. She has ran credit card debt back up to exceed 400.00 per month of her income and that is paying the minumum balance due. She has made several comments since the addition was completed in July that she has put 50 K into my home and what good will that do her when she dies and now is complaing about trash pick up being 32.00 every two months and that 185.00 per month is too high b/c she invested her 50 K. I told her when she moved in that she needed to get renters insurance to cover her belongings and she refuses. I don't ask her to pay for the increase of my homeowners insruance, property taxes, b/c it is my home and I want to see her have extra money to get her hair done or to buy a little something here and there. She is now wanting her money back and is threatening to sue me to get her money back. What is my legal right? She took 2,400.00 of this 50 K and had to pay off one of her credit cards that had gone to collection and they were threatening to sue her over the money which the balance was 3,600.00 but they cut her a deal. I want to know, can I take a loan out for the 50 K, subtract out the 2400.00, and charge her rent of 300.00 per month from Aug-Nov and give her written notice that she must be moved out by the end of Nov and return her $46,400.00 and be done with this whole situation? Would I be liable for any lawsuit if I do this? I hate even speaking of this about my mom, but I can't live misserable in my home raising my two children on my own. If I had 50 K, I would have never built on to my home, it was plenty big for us as a 3 person family.
What are my legal rights in this matter? Please help in Tennessee****************************....

moburkes

Please edit your post using paragraphs and white spaces. It makes it easier for people who are able to willing to answer to your questions, to do so.

divorcebound

REVISED-mother moved in with me and built on to my home

What is the name of your state? TN

Not sure if I am posting in the right forum.
Father passed away 2 years ago, mother is disabled, on fixed income, has issues with credit card debt and wasn't able to remain in home. Refused to live in an apartment or seniour citizens home.

Sold home, invested equity into my home for an addition to reside till passing. Had to invest some of my own money to finish addition.

I shop, run errands and help her clean her home. I charge her $185/mnth for half of the utilities (elec, phone, water, trash, cable). Comments are being made that she invested her 50 K in home and will do her no good when she is gone. Feels she has not benefited from her money.

I informed her to purchase renters ins. to cover her belongings and she refuses. She is now wanting her money back and is threatening to sue me to get her money back. What is my legal right?

What is my right as far as borrowing the money to pay her back and giving written notice to her to be moved out by end of Nov? Would I be liable for any lawsuit if I do this?

moburkes

She is a renter. All of the additions that she paid for are now a permanent part of the home that she is renting.

Having said that, she likely improved the value of your home. You should try to compensate her in some way. You two should have discussed this before she invested all of her money in your home and moved in.

HomeGuru

She is a renter. All of the additions that she paid for are now a permanent part of the home that she is renting.

Having said that, she likely improved the value of your home. You should try to compensate her in some way. You two should have discussed this before she invested all of her money in your home and moved in.
**A: did you inquire the age of the mother? She is a renter but in my opinion also has an equity interest in the property. This is not a clean L/T issue.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">