• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Back taxes = black cloud

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

inthehole

What is the name of your state? New York

This is complicated, so I'll be as direct as possible.
I have been an independent contractor for many years in the commercial art field, and owe a lot of back taxes. I've filed, but have not paid. I am currently in an "non-collectible" category according to the IRS, due to my extremely low income. I have no savings, own no home, no car and my credit is horrible. In other words, I have spent most of my adult life being irresponsible, and now that I would like to make amends and repair my past mistakes, and build myself a new life, I'm not able to do so for the following reasons...
I have multiple health issues (HIV+, heart attack, etc.) and my ability to work has decreased almost to a complete halt. I have been on a fixed income for a few years, paid for by an HIV program here in NYC. I am now in the process of applying for disability, which I am confident I will receive.
If I am approved for disability, I will probably receive a retroactive lump-sum payment which could amount to several thousand dollars.
Is that money subject to attachment by the IRS? If I put it into a bank account specifically earmarked for disability money, can the IRS go in and take it because of my back taxes if I can prove I have absolutely no other assets or income? Thanks for the help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">