• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Emancipation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

misspriss

What is the name of your state? Texas

This question is for a 16 year old student of mine. She has a two month old baby with a 17 year old student as well. She now lives with him and his family and both of them are continuing to attend school. The young man is also working to help support the baby and the young lady. Her parents are fighting her to come home and bring the baby with her but she wants to be with the babies daddy. What are her rights and how does she go about getting emancipation?

Silverplum

This question is for a 16 year old student of mine. She has a two month old baby with a 17 year old student as well. She now lives with him and his family and both of them are continuing to attend school. The young man is also working to help support the baby and the young lady. Her parents are fighting her to come home and bring the baby with her but she wants to be with the babies daddy. What are her rights and how does she go about getting emancipation?
Well, Teacher, you would google "Texas emancipation," and go from there.

HomeGuru

**A: too funny. You're not the teacher.

misspriss

Excuse me

Is this site for real or for people here to just make snap judgements about people. Yes, I am a teacher and yes I do teach young teenagers at an alternative school. We have more issues here than you could imagine and since I am a teacher not a lawyer I thought I could get some help. Obviously you people have no more clue than I do about the law. You are just somewhere sitting on your high horses judging those less fortunate than you.

TinkerBelleLuvr

There is a troll who is known to post threads that a bit 'off' to put it mildly. They questioned whether your threads might be this person.

TinkerBelleLuvr

Question: Can a child divorce the parents "child emancipation" in Texas?

Answer: In Texas, a child does not “divorce” the parents. For a minor to live separately from the parents and have the right to contract-meaning buy cars and rent apartments-the child must go through a court procedure called Removal of Disabilities of a Minor. The law requires that the child requesting Removal of Disabilities of a Minor by the court show: 1) that the minor is at least 16 years old, living separate from the parents, and, 2) the minor is self-supporting and managing his/her own affairs. Reference Texas Family Code section 31.001.
the student cannot emancipate while being supported by baby daddy's parents.

misspriss

thank you

Well whomever believes that I am someone else is absolutely wrong. I am a certified school teacher with real questions and would appreciate some real help. I teach in a low ecomomic school district and these students do not have the funds for legal aid. So if there is someone out there that could really help I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If she is under 18, her rights are to live where her parents or legal guardian says she lives. She does not have a legal "right" to live the the baby's father. When she is 18, she can live wherever she wants. Until then, she has no legal "right" to live anywhere except with her parents unless they give her permission. In fact, if her parents wanted to, they could physically remove her from where she is and force her to return home. She's lucky they haven't yet taken that step, but the law would not stop them if they tried it.

The odds that a minor with a child who needs help being supported will be emancipated are exactly zero.

Silverplum

There was nothing wrong with my advice in Post #2. However, others were nicer and googled for you. Answer given, junior miss denied.

majomom1

Original post: misspriss

I did google it thank you
And you didn't find it?... so you still posted here?

Just to note: as a parent, I would love to know why you, a teacher, are supporting a minor (two actually) and helping her find a 'legal' way to run away from her parents?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">