• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

worried parent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sharona

What is the name of your state? Mississippi

My 14 yr-old daughter was involved in a fight at school today. The police were called and she was sent home with a 3-day suspension and a ' juvenile arrest and summons' letter. My child was sitting with friends when attacked. She has never been in trouble at school before. She has had problems with being being bullied by certain girls and their friends for years. The letter states i should contact a number within 48 hours to make an appointment. After calling this number repeatedly with only answering machines, which i left a message with, i finally contacted a person. This person didn't ask for any information other than my child's name. She then said they hadn't recieved anything from the police dept. yet and i should just wait for a letter in the mail telling me my appt. date and time. She would not make an appt. for me. In the meantime I am sitting with a letter that says for me to contact them for an appointment within 48 hours. This part of the letter has been circled. I called the local police dept. to tell them I am trying to make an appt. as this letter instructs but was told to talk to a LT., again an answering machine. I have no idea what is happening and no money for an attorney. I am going tonight to see about filing assault charges against this other girl. As far as I know at this point, she has been charged with only disorderly conduct as was my child. I would like to add that this girl admits she came up and assaulted my daughter first. I have no money for an attorney and don't know what to do to protect my child's rights at this point. Please, if anyone can give me some help I would appreciate it so much.

The Occultist

Did you see the fight get started? or are you going off of what your dear sweet innocent child told you? I'm sorry, but most school yard fights I've witnessed (and I must say I've seen quite a few), a single person is rarely the absolute cause of the fight, and I have NEVER seen a fight start by a person sneaking up and attacking. It just doesn't happen that way, and the police know this too. They are BOTH responsible for assault, but the best way to handle it is the way they are doing, so let them do it. I guarantee your daughter is not as innocent as you apparently believe.

sharona

innocent

I understand as a parent my child isn't always innocent. I am going by what the other girl told the coaches, the principle and then the police. She walked up to my daughter who was sitting on a bench having her hair braided by friends and slapped her. She doesn't know my child. She has a friend who has picked on my daughter all year. I guess she wanted to join in. She has been suspended every year for fighting apparantly and also arrested off campus for the same type of assaults. My daughter has 2 tardies, hardly the trouble maker type.

The Occultist

I understand as a parent my child isn't always innocent. I am going by what the other girl told the coaches, the principle and then the police. She walked up to my daughter who was sitting on a bench having her hair braided by friends and slapped her. She doesn't know my child. She has a friend who has picked on my daughter all year. I guess she wanted to join in. She has been suspended every year for fighting apparantly and also arrested off campus for the same type of assaults. My daughter has 2 tardies, hardly the trouble maker type.
Some of those responsible for school shootings didn't seem the trouble maker type either. Until they snapped. I know, a little extreme, but I hope the point was made.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">