• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Train accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SGrau

PA/NJ

My husband lives in NJ and works in PA where he was involved in a train accident (he was the conductor of the train)

A concrete truck went around traffic, around the functioning crossing gate, ignored the warning lights, ignored the train blasting its horn and was struck on the tracks. The driver has been charged with over 40 counts of different charges (37 for those not injured, 4 for those injured as well as traffic violations regarding stopping on the tracks). There were numerous witnesses and the accident was broadcast on the news. The driver himself was injured and sent to the hospital with broken bones.

The engineer (bless him) hit the horn and then hit the emergency brakes on the train before diving back into the passenger car, warning everyone to brace for the impact. Because of him, there were no serious injuries.

My husband was in the rear car and did not hear the warning and ended up with a sprained shoulder (to be more specific, a strained rotator cuff). There is no workman's compensation or light duty, so he missed 9 days of work worth @ $2000 of wages. The accident occured in the beginning of October and he is still bothered by it and has some trouble sleeping, but he is back to work full time. He required no hospitalization, saw a doctor twice and was put on muscle relaxants and anti-inflammatory drugs.

Watching this on the news as his wife, I was scared spitless as they were reporting that the conductor and assistant conductor were taken to the local hospital, there were aerial shots of this smashed truck in the road and it took awhile before I managed to get a hold of my husband to find out he was relatively okay.

I have been in a few car accidents in my life and have been injured now and then, but I have always been content to have just medical bills and time lost from work covered. To me, an accident is an accident and I've never had an interest in raking someone over the coals for it.

This is the first time I have been truly angry over an accident because this wasn't an accident - this was a deliberate action by the driver that endangered the lives of over 40 people, so for the first time I am truly wanting to sue someone. My friends, however, suggest we see what the insurance company offers first.

So my question then is this - how much money is something like this worth? There were no exhorbitant medical bills and no permanent injuries, but there was pain and discomfort (still is) as a result. I also have friends telling me that if I go to court we could ask for punative damages for the intentional recklessness of this driver.

So what would be considered a proper amount to settle for considering the circumstances?

Thanks in advance for any help!

xylene

To be fair, 'bracing' for impact can actually worse collision injuries. So that doesn't really matter.

There is no workman's compensation or light duty, so he missed 9 days of work worth @ $2000 of wages.
He was working... why no comp?

My friends, however, suggest we see what the insurance company offers first.
Your friends should keep quiet. You NEED a lawyer, like yesterday, even if you don't sue.

You, as a lay consumer do not have the experience to negotiate an insurance settlement, if any is even forthcoming.

There were no exhorbitant medical bills and no permanent injuries, but there was pain and discomfort (still is) as a result.
Now, don't be stupid and scream that you have no permanent injuries... :rolleyes:

Soft tissue / rotator cuff injuries can cause a lifetime of problems.

You husbands chronic pain CLEARLY suggests that this injury is more serious that you may be assuming.

You are under no obligation to 'suck it up' but that is exactly what the insurance adjuster is
going to expect you to do without a lawyer on your behalf.

I also have friends telling me that if I go to court we could ask for punative damages for the intentional recklessness of this driver.
Unless your friend is a lawyer working for you, ignore the talk.

Honestly, you should not be openly discussing the details of you case or husbands health status with anyone, at the very least until you have a lawyer.

So what would be considered a proper amount to settle for considering the circumstances?
The circumstances are far too complicated and you have not provided enough info to really say.

The reality is you husband WILL need extensive and long term medical care, perhaps surgery.

You also need to be realistic about the amount of insurance availible and if you will need to sue the driver and or the concrete company.

All these things are why only a lawyer can represent you properly.

And please, please understand that getting a lawyer does not automatically mean their will be a lawsuit or court battle. The lawyer will help you get the maximum settlement without trial, because that is in everyones best interest.

ecmst12

If he's still in pain, he should at the very least be following up with the doctor to make sure there is no tear. Why wasn't he sent to physical therapy?

MikeKV

I agree with what xylene is saying although I tend to word things a bit more subtle. I would say that friends do have great value in situations like this (whether it be emotional, etc...) but you'd also want to consider seeking professional help (a lawyer) with this incident.

I've been in 2 no-fault accidents in the past 2 1/2 yrs and in both accidents I contacted my lawyer to assist with the case(s). My lawyer assisted me/DW with whatever the insurance co. does not resolve. Mind you, lawyers will typically require a % of what is recovered. My lawyer requires 33%. Also, one of the main points that my lawyer suggested to me in both accidents is that its wise to try wait until all physical, auto and medical issues are resolved before settling with the at-fault party. There is usually a timeframe with how long you should/can wait so a lawyer will typically know that info.

FlyingRon

Railroad workers are often not covered by workman's compensation law. The federal law exempts it and so do most of the states. The railroad is liable under FELA only to the extent that they are negligent. They are however supposed to handle the medical bills and wages (just no disability or pain and suffering).

Ozark_Sophist

Cement trucks are an interesting beast. From the time cement is activated, there is a limited time to pour the cement else it must be dumped with cost going to the cement company both for the cement, materials, and waste removal. It would be interesting to determine the company responsibility--whether the driver was given sufficient time to deliver the load, or if the driver is held responsible for late loads.

When I got cement delivered for my addition, I got the driver talking about all the oopsies he has experienced or seen. One example is trucks are routinely overloaded and rarely checked--if their delivery is time sensitive, a stop and check with portable scale may result in a refused delivery. Because the trucks are overloaded, they are even more difficult to drive (top-heavy) and dangerous to follow. The driver laughed about a colleague who lost almost 3 cubic yards of cement when a stoplight turned green.

Moral: never pull up close behind a cement truck at a stop sign or light.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">