• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does an SCorp with a single shareholder require minutes & bylaws?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

amandaann

What is the name of your state? CA

I need to know if these need to be drawn up for my s-corp. I am the only shareholder & officer.

Also, my wife (now ex-wife) was originally a member but I have taken over in the divorce. Other than transfering her share to me on the accounting books and adjusting the K-1's this year do I need to file any other forms to show the shareholder change? She is not an officer of the Corp, only me.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? CA

I need to know if these need to be drawn up for my s-corp. I am the only shareholder & officer.

Also, my wife (now ex-wife) was originally a member but I have taken over in the divorce. Other than transfering her share to me on the accounting books and adjusting the K-1's this year do I need to file any other forms to show the shareholder change? She is not an officer of the Corp, only me.
You need a document transferring her shares to you.

abezon

You absolutely need minutes & bylaws. Failure to "observe the corporate formalities" could result in you losing the liability protection of corporate status. If your company got sued, a court could decide it wasn't really an S-corp & your personal assets would be used to satisfy a judgment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">