• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Teen Insurance Requirements -- California

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wussery

What is the name of your state? CA

My daughter has a learning permit and just starting taking formal driver training from a local company. When is it a requirement for me to add my daughter to my car insurance policy? My wife believes that while they are "learning" to drive they don't need to be on the policy, but my gut tells me otherwise.

moburkes

What is the name of your state? CA

My daughter has a learning permit and just starting taking formal driver training from a local company. When is it a requirement for me to add my daughter to my car insurance policy? My wife believes that while they are "learning" to drive they don't need to be on the policy, but my gut tells me otherwise.
It is up to each individual insurance company.

But, in any case, your daughter is more likely than any driver on the roads to cause an accident. I suppose if your assets (current and future) are few, you wouldn't have anything to worry about.

wussery

It is up to each individual insurance company.

But, in any case, your daughter is more likely than any driver on the roads to cause an accident. I suppose if your assets (current and future) are few, you wouldn't have anything to worry about.

Does the fact that she has a learning permit, mean that she is covered under my policy until she gets a formal license?

moburkes

Does the fact that she has a learning permit, mean that she is covered under my policy until she gets a formal license?
No. It is up to each individual insurance company. Some take the stance that until you call and add her to the policy, she is not covered.

ecmst12

The point being, you need to call your agent or your company's customer service department and ask them.

beckettcmc

She might be excluded so add her.

Anyone in the household that is 14 or over is usually excluded or a rated driver. You need to call your company and add her to the policy. You might consider getting her her own policy such as a non-owner policy which is cheaper that adding her to most companies. If you insist on adding her to the family policy to keep higher limits I suggest switching to SAFECO or Mercury.

Last edited by a moderator:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">