• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Returning a Dog

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

susannem

What is the name of your state? NC

Yesterday I purchased a dog. I asked the person I bought it from very specific questions. Here are a few:

Question /Response
Does he bite? No
Does he shed? (He is suppose to be a nonshedding dog) No
Does he bark? No, he's not a barker
He is crate trained? Yes
Has she had any problems with the dog. None

I had the dog less than 24 hours (bought yesterday at 3pm and phoned her this morning at 8:30) and he has done everything she said he didn't do. The worse thing is that he is nipping at my 5 month olds feet. So I'm keeping him in the crate but he won't stop barking. Obvioulsy he is not crate trained.

I paid $450 for him and told her I would need to bring him back due to the incessant barking and nipping. She was very, very rude and basically said she had my cash and we had the dog.

There was never anything mentioned about all sales final, or no returns and had she told me the truth I NEVER would have bought him. I can't keep this dog and I can't afford to just be out this money either. Is there any law that I can site her over the phone to try to convince her to take the dog back and refund my money? I've tried to find something on Google with no luck. Please help, I'm really desperate.

Just Blue

What is the name of your state? NC

Yesterday I purchased a dog. I asked the person I bought it from very specific questions. Here are a few:

Question /Response
Does he bite? No
He is crate trained? Yes

I had the dog less than 24 hours (bought yesterday at 3pm and phoned her this morning at 8:30) and he has done everything she said he didn't do. The worse thing is that he is nipping at my 5 month olds feet. So I'm keeping him in the crate but he won't stop barking. Obvioulsy he is not crate trained.

I paid $450 for him and told her I would need to bring him back due to the incessant barking and nipping. She was very, very rude and basically said she had my cash and we had the dog.

There was never anything mentioned about all sales final, or no returns and had she told me the truth I NEVER would have bought him. I can't keep this dog and I can't afford to just be out this money either. Is there any law that I can site her over the phone to try to convince her to take the dog back and refund my money? I've tried to find something on Google with no luck. Please help, I'm really desperate.
What does the contract state about returns? What kind of dog is this?

JETX

I asked the person I bought it from very specific questions. Here are a few:

Question /Response
Does he bite? No
He is crate trained? Yes
And presumably you have ALL of that in WRITING and a part of your purchase agreement, correct??

BTW, unless a non-shed breed, all dogs shed. All dogs bark (especially when kept in a cage).

There was never anything mentioned about all sales final, or no returns and had she told me the truth I NEVER would have bought him. I can't keep this dog and I can't afford to just be out this money either. Is there any law that I can site her over the phone to try to convince her to take the dog back and refund my money?
Nope. Read your agreement... that is the ONLY legal enforcement available (if any). What EXACTLY does your contract (if one) say as to returns and refunds.

susannem

I understand all dogs bark. This is non stop barking though. And is is suppose to be a nonshedding dog. As mentioned there was no contract. I asked her these questions in front of two witnesses as they were important in my decision to purchase the dog.

Just Blue

There was no contract. Verbal or otherwise. It's a Goldendoodle.
You paid 450.00 for a mixed breed??:eek:

Clue: Golden Retriever shed like hell...Poodles shed, not as much...but they do shed.

Clue: Poodles are nippy.

Clue: Poodles are yappey.

You should have investigated the behaviors of BOTH breeds involved in the mix BEFORE bringing a strange dog into the home with your infant.

BTW: Your list of unwanted behaviors would make ANY dog not right for you...Get a cat!

msiron

I had to look that up, no comment. :confused:

Why do people buy dogs before doing their homework? First be responsible and TRAIN your dog. Go to OB classes with your dog and if you have baby why would you get dog?

When I purchased I did months & months of research, asked allot of questions, chose a trainer/breeder where I could physical go to, and had CONTRACT and still train on a weekly basis with now a 2 year old & a 10 month old.

Last edited:

nolow

I think that is how all puppies are. It doesn't take long to train them to an acceptable level. When I bought my first dog (beagle), he did the exact same things as your puppy. I was upset and blamed it on the breed. I put an add in the newspaper to resell it a couple of days later. I actually started some research on which breed to buy next before I sold him. While I was at the bookstore, I picked up a few dog training books. Needless to say, I ended up keeping him. It has since been seven years and I still can't believe I almost made that mistake. He turned out to be a great dog. The only problem I have now is that he has a food obsession. I think if I let him, he would eat until he pops. It is normal for ANY dog to nip when they are puppies. It only took me a couple of weeks to break my dog of that habit. The reason he is barking in the crate is because he can here your family and wants to be in that environment. My dog will get mad if I leave him in a crate while I was home. Think about it... I guess try to put yourself in his situation. I only put him in the crate when I leave the house. I think you are having buyer's remorse because it is an untrained dog, but that is how they come. It isn't the breed you are having a problem with. I guarantee if you keep him for six months you will look back and say I can't believe I almost returned him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">