• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have to get an attorney for my son?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tualha

NJ

My 14-year-old son is being charged with terroristic threats for saying something stupid to another boy at school. According to the notice I am supposed to get an attorney for him. In speaking to an attorney about this matter, he asked me what I would like the outcome of this case to be. I said I thought the whole thing was ridiculous and should probably be dismissed. He then said I should just defend him myself if I thought the case was ridiculous. Why spend money on an attorney if I think it is ridiculous, he said. I would love to just defent him myself, but can I? I can't believe this attorney told me this, but he says he has seen many parents do it. Has anyone ever heard of this? The court tells me I have to get one.

lealea1005

NJ

My 14-year-old son is being charged with terroristic threats for saying something stupid to another boy at school. According to the notice I am supposed to get an attorney for him. In speaking to an attorney about this matter, he asked me what I would like the outcome of this case to be. I said I thought the whole thing was ridiculous and should probably be dismissed. He then said I should just defend him myself if I thought the case was ridiculous. Why spend money on an attorney if I think it is ridiculous, he said. I would love to just defent him myself, but can I? I can't believe this attorney told me this, but he says he has seen many parents do it. Has anyone ever heard of this? The court tells me I have to get one.

Is this a new incident or a continuation of your other thread?

tualha

Sorry, forgot I posted about this months ago. They are only now just charging him, 5-1/2 months later. So yes, I guess it is a continuation.

lealea1005

Sorry, forgot I posted about this months ago. They are only now just charging him, 5-1/2 months later. So yes, I guess it is a continuation.
OK, then delete/close this thread and update the old one. Hopefully, you'll get some help.

tualha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">