• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

California MIP. Out of state offender.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

coloradan07

What is the name of your state? California

During a visit to the University of San Diego I attended a beach party where alcohol was being served. Long story short, the cops raided the house where the party was and I was charged with an MIP. I am 17 years old. I had consumed about 1 and a half beers and when I took the breathalyzer my BAC was .039 ish. My court date for the offense was set for 3 weeks after I was charged. Because I live in Colorado and was unable to take time off of school to go to a court date I mailed the superior court of San Diego a letter stating my situation. I was told over the phone that I would be receiving a mailed letter that would list my options for settling the situation. As I am writing this it has been about 6 weeks since the incident and I have not received the letter. I am aware that the California legal system revokes the drivers licenses of minors charged with an MIP for one year. My question is: Can the state of California revoke/suspend my drivers license if I am not a resident of the state? In Colorado the state cannot suspend/revoke someone's license for an MIP offense. The reason I'm so concerned about license suspension is because I need a car to get to and from school. License revocation is quite possibly the worst outcome I can possibly imagine for this situation and so I'm wondering if there's some kind of exception for the mandatory 1 year revocation because I don't live in California.

Any information concerning the applicability of California juvenile punishments to out of state minors would be very helpful.

Thanks,

-A very distraught teenager :(

CdwJava

Long story short, the cops raided the house where the party was and I was charged with an MIP.
What section were you cited for? And what court were you cited into?

Can the state of California revoke/suspend my drivers license if I am not a resident of the state?
They can suspend your privilege to drive in CA. If CO also suspends for this offense, and if it is reported to CO than they might suspend it also. Since you say they cannot suspend for an MIP then you can still drive in CO ... just don't drive here or your car will be gone for 30 days and you could go to jail.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">