• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ticket two weeks after accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lefturn

What is the name of your state? WA

I received a ticket two weeks after the accident, does it make any difference?
It is a four lane street, and traffic was bad and slow. I waited at a parking lot's exit to make a left turn. a bus stopped and the driver waved me out. So I came out. The bumper of my car merely reached the inner lane and that was when I hit the other car. No injury. The officer didn't ticket me at that time. I receive the ticket which was issued two weeks after for "fail to yield emerging flow/private drive".
This is my first ticket. Should I just pay the fine? What else can I do?

ecmst12

Well, you were wrong, so you should pay.

This reminds me of my favorite public service announcement. NEVER WAVE PEOPLE ON if you are on a two lane street! It causes more accidents then anyone realizes. The guy in the right lane waves them on, so they assume the left lane is clear also, but they can't SEE because the guy in the right lane is blocking their view, so they just go and act surprised when the guy in the left lane hits them.

racer72

The officer had one year to issue a citation, 2 weeks is nothing. If you have a clean driving record you can challenge the ticket and ask for a deferral. If granted, which they are in most cases, all you have to do is not get a ticket for one year, pay the fine and court costs and the ticket will go away. Get another ticket during that year and both tickets hit your driving record (and insurance) at the same time.

lefturn

Thanks a lot!
I will request a deferral. And remember next time do not believe the wave on right lane. :eek:

VeronicaLodge

Well, you were wrong, so you should pay.

This reminds me of my favorite public service announcement. NEVER WAVE PEOPLE ON if you are on a two lane street! It causes more accidents then anyone realizes. The guy in the right lane waves them on, so they assume the left lane is clear also, but they can't SEE because the guy in the right lane is blocking their view, so they just go and act surprised when the guy in the left lane hits them.
I know! and in some states, the waiver can be held at fault for the accident. So never waive anyone on, never take the right of way from a waiver assuming the other lane is also clear!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">