• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

14 y/o and 10 y/o

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Scoris

What is the name of your state? California

Almost ten years ago I was convicted of a juvenile felony for sexual acts with a 10 year old and given 30 hours community service, mandatory counseling (completed), and probation until I was 18. Just to note, the offenses occured when I was about two weeks into being 14. At the time I wasn't really sure what sex was, and although I thought I was having it I never actually did (it was mostly experimenting without intercourse or the like, i.e. sodomy, oral copulation, etc.). The problem was that she was actually having sex with another individual ( I didn't know about this) and when her father found out, he called the police and filed a report immediatly.

During questioning I was so scared that I was over honest with any questions that were asked, and when they were asked if I knew what sex was I said "yes" because of course I thought I did. When the girl was inspected by a doctor they found that she had had sex but they couldn't say for certain I did it. Not having the money to hire a proper attorney I was stuck with a public defender who couldn't litigate his way out of a paper bag. He said to plead guilty because I'd have to go through a long trial if I didn't, and the chances were that it would be worse off for me. I did as he said because well, I didn't really know any better and my parents didn't either.

I'm currently considering pursueing a CPA or law degree but I'm afraid that even with a sealed case it'll still be found out and all the money and schooling will go to waste. Are there any recourses for me to either reduce the charges, expunge it, or anything at all? Oh, I've also never reoffended, never gotten a speeding ticket, and am currently excelling at a four year university with exceptional grades.

P.S. Yes I know it was stupid, but I've mentally punished myself for being so stupid for a long time and would give the world to go back and change it.What is the name of your state?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
With a law degree you MUST inform the Bar of all offenses, sealed or otherwise. it is in the application process so if you want to become licensed you must admit it. Because if you didn't that could cause problems. As for getting it expunged, talk to a lawyer in your area.

Scoris

CdwJava

Do you have any paperwork to prove the case was sealed? There is a common misperception that cases can be automtically sealed, and this is just not true.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">