• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Gifts subject to Lookback in Michigan

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jangwas

What is the name of your state? Michigan

BAck in the early 1990's, my parents bought two CD's jointly owned in their names and mine (they also did so for each of my siblings). My name and social security # have been resident on these CD accounts since that time, along with my parents', as they have matured and rolled over. My father's name/ssn was always the first, followed by my mother's, and lastly mine. I believe my father has always reported the interest earned on these accounts on his tax return.

Each of the sublings cashed in their CD's this summer - some 15 years after they were first set up. Each sibling received approximately $9700. Some sibs spent the money, others chose to reinvest but under just our own name, no longer including our parents.

Were these funds "gifted" to us in the 1990's, or were they gifted to us this year? Is the $10-$11K gift limit per recipient, or a limit on the giver? Are they subject to the 5-year Medicaid lookback should my parents need to apply in the next few years?

BlondiePB

What is the name of your state? Michigan

BAck in the early 1990's, my parents bought two CD's jointly owned in their names and mine (they also did so for each of my siblings). My name and social security # have been resident on these CD accounts since that time, along with my parents', as they have matured and rolled over. My father's name/ssn was always the first, followed by my mother's, and lastly mine. I believe my father has always reported the interest earned on these accounts on his tax return.

Each of the sublings cashed in their CD's this summer - some 15 years after they were first set up. Each sibling received approximately $9700. Some sibs spent the money, others chose to reinvest but under just our own name, no longer including our parents.

Were these funds "gifted" to us in the 1990's, or were they gifted to us this year? Is the $10-$11K gift limit per recipient, or a limit on the giver? Are they subject to the 5-year Medicaid lookback should my parents need to apply in the next few years?
Something that is co-owned is NOT a gift.

Dandy Don

You may want to consult a local CPA or tax accountant about this.

You failed to mention whether the CD's that the siblings cashed in were cashed in before the maturity date (for how long a term, 1-year? 5-year? were these CD's bought for?).

Both of your parents are still alive, correct?

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">