• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

GM 6yr/100,000 mile warranty

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

loyolacub68

What is the name of your state? California

I'll try to keep this as short as possible.

Basically about a year ago I started to notice chips in the paint of my Camaro. I thought they were from parking near a gravel road and trucks were kicking up pebbles. So a year goes by and I notice that the chips are starting to appear all over the sides of the roof. So I look into it and find a thread on an enthusiast website and find out that hundreds, if not thousands of people are dealing with this problem.

GM issued a technical service bulletin because they know of the problem and issued it to dealers to let them know how to fix it. But they did not issue a recall. People still under the 3yr/36k mile warranty can get it fixed no problem. People outside that warranty have a little harder time getting it fixed. Basically GM has a 6yr/100k mile paint protection warranty that covers any rust or corrosion. GM is paying for some people while denying others. I am one of the ones who was denied.

My question is this. Can I take GM to small claims court? I have a couple repair invoices from people who had their problem fixed under the 6yr/100k warranty and I think that since they had the same problem as me and got it fixed under warranty then I should be entitled to the same treatment.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Why is GM denying your claim? Sounds to me like they think your problem is *not* the same as everyone elses.

nolow

What is the name of your state? California

I'll try to keep this as short as possible.

Basically about a year ago I started to notice chips in the paint of my Camaro. I thought they were from parking near a gravel road and trucks were kicking up pebbles. So a year goes by and I notice that the chips are starting to appear all over the sides of the roof. So I look into it and find a thread on an enthusiast website and find out that hundreds, if not thousands of people are dealing with this problem.

GM issued a technical service bulletin because they know of the problem and issued it to dealers to let them know how to fix it. But they did not issue a recall. People still under the 3yr/36k mile warranty can get it fixed no problem. People outside that warranty have a little harder time getting it fixed. Basically GM has a 6yr/100k mile paint protection warranty that covers any rust or corrosion. GM is paying for some people while denying others. I am one of the ones who was denied.

My question is this. Can I take GM to small claims court? I have a couple repair invoices from people who had their problem fixed under the 6yr/100k warranty and I think that since they had the same problem as me and got it fixed under warranty then I should be entitled to the same treatment.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

You should always look at legal remedies as a last resort. You can get a lot accomplished by talking to the right people. Go to hoovers.com and get corporate officers contact information. The only reason I say this is because it is hard to get anything accomplished just calling an 800 number and talking to some 18 year old CSR. I know GM is a large company and you may think it is funny, but it actually works. I have done it with Circuit City and ABC Supply which are huge companies. I received a phone call back within 30 minutes in both instances. Basically, call the executives office. You can just call corporate location and ask for the offices of the executive you are trying to reach. I usually contact the COO (chief operating officer). You will not get to talk to him. You will instead speak with his/her executive assistant. They will then refer you to someone who CAN actually get things done. The person that the executive assistant referred you to will do everything they can (within reason) to get your problem resolved. They do not want the COO's office knowing you couldn't resolve the issue. Please Please... be very calm on the phone and just explain your situation as you have done here. Do not make any threats to file complaints with the FTC, BBB, etc... It is worth a try and only takes a couple hours out of your day.

Last edited:

loyolacub68

Why is GM denying your claim? Sounds to me like they think your problem is *not* the same as everyone elses.
They are denying my claim because they said it is not rust or corrosion and its outside the original warranty. I had brought the car by the dealer and they confirmed I had the same problem as in the service bulletin. The warranty repair invoices I have list the repairs as being done per the service bulletin and covered under the 6yr/100k, so I have no idea why they wont fix it. The factory rep I was trying to have look at refused to even come look at the car, just said they would not even cover it.

loyolacub68

You should always look at legal remedies as a last resort. You can get a lot accomplished by talking to the right people. Go to hoovers.com and get corporate officers contact information. The only reason I say this is because it is hard to get anything accomplished just calling an 800 number and talking to some 18 year old CSR. I know GM is a large company and you may think it is funny, but it actually works. I have done it with Circuit City and ABC Supply which are huge companies. I received a phone call back within 30 minutes in both instances. Basically, call the executives office. You can just call corporate location and ask for the offices of the executive you are trying to reach. I usually contact the COO (chief operating officer). You will not get to talk to him. You will instead speak with his/her executive assistant. They will then refer you to someone who CAN actually get things done. The person that the executive assistant referred you to will do everything they can (within reason) to get your problem resolved. They do not want the COO's office knowing you couldn't resolve the issue. Please Please... be very calm on the phone and just explain your situation as you have done here. Do not make any threats to file complaints with the FTC, BBB, etc... It is worth a try and only takes a couple hours out of your day.
I am definitely using it as my last resort. I am just trying to see if I would have a good argument if I had to bring it to small claims. I just don't understand why they would not repair mine with the EXACT same problem under warranty, while the next guy gets his car fixed. It just does not seem fair. Thanks for the advice, I'll try the website you gave me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">