• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car without title

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kursk0

What is the name of your state?Illinois
I bought a 2001 car but I lost all the papers including the title, I don`t know the name of the last owner since I bought it at the border, I`m from Mexico, How can I get a duplicate?, it seems that without the name or a copy of the last title I won`t be able to get it, now I can`t register the car in Mexico nor can I drive it, can anybody please give me an advice on what to do?, the tilte was from illinois and I found out the title number in carfax.com. Thank you very much.

GatorLaw

Paperwork

Found here: http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/departments/vehicles/title_registration/duplicate_titles.html

You must fill out the Application for Vehicle Transaction(s) (VSD 190).

* Check the box for Duplicate Title in the top section.
* Fill out every section which applies.
* For mobile homes, square footage must be completed.
* Sign the document.
* Write in the exact Vehicle Identification Number (VIN).
* Write in the current vehicle odometer reading if applicable. Check the appropriate odometer box, i.e., actual, not actual, in excess. The application will be returned if this information is not provided.

milspecgirl

if the car has not been titled in your name, the only person who can get a dup title is the registered owner. the form that can be filled out has to have the owners signature. if u have not filled out and submitted the paperwork, you are not the registered owner

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">