• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

16 year Employee Theft

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AcerS

What is the name of your state? IL

"Civil claim regarding misappropriation of company assets" ------16 year old Employee

About 4 or 5 months ago my little brother was caught by his employer for letting a friend steal $85 worth of merchandise. He was the cashier and put it in his friends shopping bag. The employer fired him and made him pay the $85.

After about a month, we received a letter from Palmer Reifler, and Associates seeking a claim of $1100 or further action would be taken by the employer. Our father set up a payment plan with them for $80/month, even though we are in financial trouble. We made the first payment and then our home was damaged severely by a storm. Insurance will only cover a certain amount and the rest is up to us. So with us also being displaced living at a relatives house, my father missed a payment which he can't really afford right now anyway.

Now we receive a final letter from Palmer Reifler and Associates seeking $1400 or further action will be taken. When my brother had gone to the Retail Theft Program ordered by the court, the officers and counselors were telling him he shouldn't have to pay. Since he is only 16 years old is it possible for them to sue him, or would they end up suing my father?

Any advice for us?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">