• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Issues with Minor Daughter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NOCAMOM

What is the name of your state? California

About a 1 1/2 ago my husband found out that his 15 year was talking to an 18 year old soon to be 19. She asked at that point if she could date him and her father said no that he was told old and she was to young.

Recently we found out that they may have been seeing each other behind our backs and talking, and texting. My husband read the text messages and he was talking to her about sexy underwear and what size does she wear.

Do you have any legal grounds on this?

Thanks
concerned mother

CdwJava

What is the name of your state? California

About a 1 1/2 ago my husband found out that his 15 year was talking to an 18 year old soon to be 19. She asked at that point if she could date him and her father said no that he was told old and she was to young.

Recently we found out that they may have been seeing each other behind our backs and talking, and texting. My husband read the text messages and he was talking to her about sexy underwear and what size does she wear.

Do you have any legal grounds on this?

Thanks
concerned mother
So, his daughter is now 16 1/2 or 17?

It is doubtful that the messages will be criminal, but it is possible. If this young man has encouraged your stepdaughter to run away or be out of your control, then he might be able to be charged with a contributing to the delinquency offense. Or, you can use that info to try and obtain a restraining order. In any event, contact by the police might dissuade Romeo for a while.

In the meantime, I would heed another suggestion here - take away the phone and the computer or restrict their access and capabilities ... hard to text, e-mail, or call when you have nothing to do it with. Let her earn those rights back.

- Carl

NOCAMOM

Issues with Daughter

She turned 16 in Aug. We do not have a house phone and she is not allowed to use the computer. The phone she was using was activated for her by a friend or their parent. As she lost phone and computer previlages for an offense early last year that took place when she was with her mother.

When she is at school of with friends she uses their phones or computers. She has known the boy since she was 14 as he is her older brother's friend...and the middle changed buses at the high school that is how she got to know him. She indicated to her father last night that's her boyfriend and she is the one who started the entire thing. She told us that we don't understand how much they love each other. Respect is huge with my husband and alot has been lost here.

Could the parent who activated the phone be charged with deliquency of a minor? What is deliquency of a minor defined as?

CdwJava

Could the parent who activated the phone be charged with deliquency of a minor? What is deliquency of a minor defined as?
No. They would have to prove that the parent did this knowing that she would use it to avoid your controls.

PC 272. (a) (1) Every person who commits any act or omits the
performance of any duty, which act or omission causes or tends to
cause or encourage any person under the age of 18 years to come
within the provisions of Section 300, 601, or 602 of the Welfare and
Institutions Code or which act or omission contributes thereto, or
any person who, by any act or omission, or by threats, commands, or
persuasion, induces or endeavors to induce any person under the age
of 18 years or any ward or dependent child of the juvenile court to
fail or refuse to conform to a lawful order of the juvenile court, or
to do or to perform any act or to follow any course of conduct or to
so live as would cause or manifestly tend to cause that person to
become or to remain a person within the provisions of Section 300,
601, or 602 of the Welfare and Institutions Code, is guilty of a
misdemeanor and upon conviction thereof shall be punished by a fine
not exceeding two thousand five hundred dollars ($2,500), or by
imprisonment in the county jail for not more than one year, or by
both fine and imprisonment in a county jail, or may be released on
probation for a period not exceeding five years.​

- Carl

VeronicaLodge

why would another parent activate a phone for someone else's child? that is bizarre! are they paying the cell phone bill as well? sounds like it is time to restrict her access to all her friends.

NOCAMOM

Veronica,

My husband and I falled to see why someone would do that as well. I notice you live in Tenn. here in Cal we have a phone company called MetroPCs that anyone can apparently get as they require no contract. So we really aren't sure if her friend did it or her friends father.

Being since we have just been lied to for however long this has been going on it's hard to believe anything that's going on. My husband and I are trying to advice that going down this path is not a good thing the young man is being disrepectful, deciteful and having dirty conversations with her. He is a grown man and you are still a child. I read in other posts in regards to the subject matter the difference in maturity levels should be bigs issues for these young men going after these young girls. It is an issue that's why they are going after them...young and DUMB.

She thinks we don't understand her feelings. I am only 30 so it wasn't that long ago I was there going that same path dating losers and I told her as much. I told her that her father is the best thing that ever happened to me. I believe a relationship is a two way street that includes with Parents as this young man should have had. I think that its a ashame that our society has strayed away from the respect. What is to become of this next generation?

by the way great name that's mine as well.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">