• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Signed a document for just verification.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Froglover7687

What is the name of your state? CO

My father took out a "parent loan" for $40,000 to pay for my college. The loan specifically states that the student information needs to be on the loan for verification. Also, the student needs to sign the application as well for the verification. The loan was being taken out by my father and like the instructions stated, I signed to verify that I was the student. After I signed the loan, they put me down as a cosigner. I didn't sign anything saying I was going to be a cosigner.

I have a copy of the application and there is a section for a cosigner that is left blank because on that loan there was no cosigner. I asked them to remove my name as cosigner because I never was supposed to be a cosigner. They said that all students are put down as cosigner no matter what.

I had some family problems and my father stopped paying for my schooling, and so I was unable to finish my schooling because I couldn't afford it. The people my father took the loan from said there is no way for them to remove my name from the loan since I didn't finish school.

Since that loan is listed in my name, I am unable to get any other loan to go back to school. I want to know if there is anything that I can do about this, and even if they are allowed to put someone down as cosigner without their authorization.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">