• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Illegal or Legal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Charjun

What is the name of your state? KY

Is it illegal or legal for an employer to require an employee to pick up clients in their own personal vehicle to bring to the business etc. without the business providing coverage for the employee's personal car while the clients are being transported? The employee only has personal coverage, not business.

Thank you

efflandt

Typically the vehicle owner is ultimately responsible to protect themself with vehicle insurance. If you get a company vehicle, the company should cover it. If using your personal vehicle, they would typically give you a car allowance to cover expenses/insurance. If they reimburse you less than the gov't allowed per mile, or you can document more expense than that, you can recover whatever difference is allowed for personal itemized deductions. At least that is the way it works at our company. Although, we have special accidental death insurance if on company business.

So if you are using a personal vehicle for company business, you should make sure you have enough insurance to protect yourself.

But I am curious if this is a special circumstance, or if you regularly use you vehicle for company business (sales, etc.) and get a regular car allowance. If you "regularly" use your personal vehicle for company business, you should NOT try to hide that from your insurance company, and you should certainly carry enough insurance. Because if you are liable for something not covered, it falls on you.

Charjun

Typically the vehicle owner is ultimately responsible to protect themself with vehicle insurance. If you get a company vehicle, the company should cover it. If using your personal vehicle, they would typically give you a car allowance to cover expenses/insurance. If they reimburse you less than the gov't allowed per mile, or you can document more expense than that, you can recover whatever difference is allowed for personal itemized deductions. At least that is the way it works at our company. Although, we have special accidental death insurance if on company business.

So if you are using a personal vehicle for company business, you should make sure you have enough insurance to protect yourself.

But I am curious if this is a special circumstance, or if you regularly use you vehicle for company business (sales, etc.) and get a regular car allowance. If you "regularly" use your personal vehicle for company business, you should NOT try to hide that from your insurance company, and you should certainly carry enough insurance. Because if you are liable for something not covered, it falls on you.
Hi Thanks for your reply-

I can try to explain a little better- My company told us that we are all covered under a blanket policy and we used our cars as neccessary to take clients at our center to the Dr. or other places. Then one day it became my responsibility to pick up clients on a daily basis, in my own car. (Also this is not what I hired in for, as I am a RN and not a usual duty) I asked about if I was insured by the company in case of an accident. They stated yes I was but wouldn't give me or anyone anything like a policy as to what to do if we were involved in an accident like some proof of insurance to carry in the car and such. When they did provide a policy, it read like it only covered company vehicles. So I called the insurance company, who told me that I was not included on the company policy in my personal car.

I really want to know if it is legal to force an employee to have clients in their personal cars unprotected. Had the company suggested I get business insurance and pay for it as well, I would have done that. That was not offered. I want to protect my home and land from any liability from taking clients in my car if I should be involved in an accident.

Thank you-

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">