• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Driver gave me false information

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sadture

What is the name of your state? California

When I was crossing the road today a car hit me while I was on my bicycle. I was going straight and she was making a left turn. She pulled over and I asked her to give me her phone number. I try to get more information from her but she doesnt want to talk to me and drives off. When i go home to call this number, it turns out to be fake. All I have now is her license plate number. I was wondering if she could be charged with hit and run since she did not talk to me and gave me a fake number. Also if somebody can tell me what I should do in this situation that would be great.

CdwJava

This sounds to be a crime - hit-and-run - pursuant to CVC 20002. As CourtClerk said, call the police and make a report.

Note that a late collision report (aka a Counter Report) cannot be assigned fault by an investigating officer, so it would likely concern primarily the hit-and-run and not assign fault for the collision.

- Carl

jballidis

Uninsured motorist info

Having been hit by a car, you are entitled in many states to uninsured motorist coverage on your policy. Contact your insurance carrier.

ecmst12

Only if it wasn't OP's fault. He didn't state whether he was crossing the street legally or not. If he's got PIP, he can use it. Not only that, but since he got the plate number, he'd need proof that the car was uninsured.

Last edited:

moburkes

Only if it wasn't OP's fault. He didn't state whether he was crossing the street legally or not. If he's got PIP, he can use it. Not only that, but since he got the plate number, he'd need proof that the car was uninsured.
No PIP in CA.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">