• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fraudulent transfer to avoid debt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tg2001

This is in California. My father just passed away. I have power of attorney for him. About 6 months prior to his passing, his home was put into my name as well as "non-resident co-owner." He had to be put on Medi-Cal as he was going to have to permanently stay in a sub-acute facility. The house was "exempted" by Medi-Cal and I took on part ownership since that was the only way that I could sell it. The house sold in December and is in escrow. When dad died in January, I assumed full ownership. All of dad's assets were a life insurance policy and the house and under $100,000. I understand that creditors cannot come after joint tenancy property and life insurance that has a designated beneficiary (which it does). However, I was also told that "if my name was added shortly before death, it *may* be able to be attacked as a fraudulent transfer intended to avoid creditors." What is considered "shortly before death" and do the factors of how and why I took on ownership affect this?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">