• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Television I bought new might be a refurb and out of warranty for it

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MSW

What is the name of your state? California

I just found out that a Toshiba DLP TV I bought January 20 of this year might actually be a refurbished TV. The store I bought it from was small and shabby, but neat, and has been in that location for years. The price was very low, but many TVs were still boxed, and the manual was in plastic. At no time did the sales guy (the owner's son) say the TV was refurbished, and I have the receipt on my knee and it doesn't say refurbished. It's a hand-filled receipt with the store's name, location, and phone pre-printed on the top, my name and address and the signature of the sales guy under "sold by," and under that:

46HM94P
90 day warranty
-no stand-

$845

As was explained, the warranty listed was just if I wanted them to service. It wasn't said that that warranty would be in place of a manufacturer's warranty, and I believe that TV warranties are usually for a year.

After researching on Toshiba's site, warranties on new TVs are for a year, but I can not find any record of my model number. There is a 46HM94, but no P. This is what leads me to think I may have a refurb instead.

If it's not and is indeed new, would the 90-day notation void any factory warranty?

(*This is a DLP TV, which means lamps do need to be replaced. However, the factory warranty DOES replace the lamps for the first year, though the cost of labor is not included as it's a consumer-changeable part, and I could easily do it myself anyway.)

Thank you in advance for any help.

MSW

Also, at this particular establishment, all cash purchases are not charged tax, so I paid in cash. So I can't go to a credit card company for help.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You have no case. You bought a tv for a "very low"price and paid cash - what did you expect? You were offered, and accepted, a 90 day warranty.

BoredAtty

If it's not and is indeed new, would the 90-day notation void any factory warranty?
No. The factory warranty is between you and the manufacturer. The seller has little to do with it.

As for whether you were sold a refurbished TV in place of a new one, you should call the manufacturer and/or the seller and bluntly ask. If it is indeed a refurbished TV, then find out the seller's explanation. If you have a problem at that point, come back here with questions.

CraigFL

Two things...

Just because you couldn't find the exact number on the Toshiba website doesn't mean it wasn't new. Sometimes manufacturers make special models just for certain stores/chains. They may just be packaged differently too.

I buy factory refurbished equipment for my business but always tell my customer that they are "factory refurbished" which most of the times mean they're better than new because human hands actually touched them and checked them. Usually they carry the same warranty trhat the new equipment has, but not all the time. When they come from the factory, sometimes it's not easy to tell them from new because everything has been repacked like new.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">