• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

rento to own company lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

slreno

What is the name of your state? ohio
i am currently renting some furniture from a rent to own chain called showplace rent to own.
i got into it with them about there phone calls every saturday morning reminding me of the payment due before it is even due!
so i guess it pissed them off now they are out to get me when i am even one day late. 2 thing i am wanting to know about the contract. payments are due on saturday and the contract states i have a one day grace period before there is any late fees, well they are closed on sundays so would wouldnt that make all day monday the grace period i am entitled to?

also the contract states 2 items that dont make sence. it states that showplace can terminate this contract for default payment or breach of the agreement.
but rite below that it says if i fail to make a timely payment i have the right to reinstate this contract by paying all past due lease payments. they are saying they will not accept my payment and want there merchandise back.. what is there legal stand on this when the contract is saying i have the right to reinstate and they may terminate?

also the contract states that if i dont return the merchandise i may get criminal prosecution... i thought that was not allowed to be put in any type of contract?

please help

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state? ohio
i am currently renting some furniture from a rent to own chain called showplace rent to own.
i got into it with them about there phone calls every saturday morning reminding me of the payment due before it is even due!
so i guess it pissed them off now they are out to get me when i am even one day late. 2 thing i am wanting to know about the contract. payments are due on saturday and the contract states i have a one day grace period before there is any late fees, well they are closed on sundays so would wouldnt that make all day monday the grace period i am entitled to?

also the contract states 2 items that dont make sence. it states that showplace can terminate this contract for default payment or breach of the agreement.
but rite below that it says if i fail to make a timely payment i have the right to reinstate this contract by paying all past due lease payments. they are saying they will not accept my payment and want there merchandise back.. what is there legal stand on this when the contract is saying i have the right to reinstate and they may terminate?

also the contract states that if i dont return the merchandise i may get criminal prosecution... i thought that was not allowed to be put in any type of contract?

please help
**A: it appears that you are way behind so the center is taking the stand and enforcing the contract. Criminal prosecution is true.

slreno

because they are saying they will not accept my payment and want the merchandise after i have made alot of payments on this merchandise... they have already been to my house beating dowan my door scaring my daughter..

HomeGuru

because they are saying they will not accept my payment and want the merchandise after i have made alot of payments on this merchandise... they have already been to my house beating dowan my door scaring my daughter..
**A: you have not told us the complete story. You post makes the presumption that you never had a default in thepast and have never had any problem with the center. That is far from the truth since you failed to provide the factual background of your account.

slreno

what are you talking about.... read the entire first post before you make accusations! i stated i did have problems with them over phone calls reminding me of payments due when they wasnt even due yet.. if you dont want to answer the original questions i posted then dont make a post with accusations when you dont even read the whole post.

now can someone answer the questions, would be greatly appreciated
thanks

HomeGuru

what are you talking about.... read the entire first post before you make accusations! i stated i did have problems with them over phone calls reminding me of payments due when they wasnt even due yet.. if you dont want to answer the original questions i posted then dont make a post with accusations when you dont even read the whole post.

now can someone answer the questions, would be greatly appreciated
thanks
**A: ok, good luck. Let's see if another attorney responds.

BoredAtty

payments are due on saturday and the contract states i have a one day grace period before there is any late fees, well they are closed on sundays so would wouldnt that make all day monday the grace period i am entitled to?
I would think so. The clause which gives you a grace period would have no meaning otherwise.

The "default payment" referred to likely assumes you never make payment. If you do make payment, then you are reinstated. So, they should accept your payment.

If you steal their merchandise, then yes. But this is a civil matter as there is a dispute as to what's required under the contract. I wouldn't worry about criminal prosecution at this point.

slreno

thank you, thats all i was wanting was honest answers. not accusations.
and just to clarify, i was stating everything.

BoredAtty

thank you, thats all i was wanting was honest answers. not accusations.
and just to clarify, i was stating everything.
If I were you, I'd write a letter which quotes the reinstatement clause in the contract, and include a check. State that you will not hesitate to vigorously defend your position in court should they refuse to your check and take legal action. Send the letter to the store manager, the regional manager (if applicable), and to the CEO of the company. Obviously keep a copy of the letter and check for your records.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">