• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Minor Charged With Making Terroristic Threats

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mizmel

Georgia

My 14 year old daughter was arrested at school for 2 counts felony terroristic threats, one supposedly over MySpace and another based on hearsay. The DJJ recommended detention, on her first offense, I have no idea how long they had her in custody before they contacted me, as they kept telling her our phone number was not our phone number, I am assuming so they didn't have to call me, she wa never asked if she wanted an attorney present, nor was she asked any questions pertaining to her case, they just asked questions about her father (who is a registered sex offender), was he her biological father and so forth. So they did her detention hearing the same day, the public defender couldn't be her attorney because of a conflict of interest, so they appointed her an attorney, but teh public defender ask for her to have an expidited spot in a group home. She did it like we didn't have a choice. The judge said to my daughter in front of me and my husband, you can spend some time in there to think about "WHAT YOU HAVE DONE, OH, WHAT YOU ARE ACCUSED OF HAVING DID" really sarcastically. Is that allowed? Can a judge even say something like that, that is basically saying she is guilty. I believe my daughter wouldn't have a fair trial in front of that judge. Also her court appointed attorney has not returned any of our calls, he waved her adjudication hearing, which I was told my DJJ she could of came home from, cause that is what they were going to recommend, I also read on DJJ's website, that they only have 30 days to get her in front of a judge for her hearing. Well her court date is 2 days past that 30 day mark, Is there anything I can do about this, I believe they are punishing my daughter by holding her in detention because they know they can't prove their case, because anyone could of signed into her myspace, and when she supposedly made the second threat, she was with her sister, waiting on the bus, so that was false. So they want to punish her now since they won't be able to find her guilty to punish her later, then told me I Would have to pick her up fromt eh group hom to bring her to her court hearing, she is in a group home 2 and 1/2 hours away, why should I have to pick her up, shouldn't they have to provide her transportation?

Thanks for any help
mizmel

HomeGuru

Georgia

My 14 year old daughter was arrested at school for 2 counts felony terroristic threats, one supposedly over MySpace and another based on hearsay. The DJJ recommended detention, on her first offense, I have no idea how long they had her in custody before they contacted me, as they kept telling her our phone number was not our phone number, I am assuming so they didn't have to call me, she wa never asked if she wanted an attorney present, nor was she asked any questions pertaining to her case, they just asked questions about her father (who is a registered sex offender), was he her biological father and so forth. So they did her detention hearing the same day, the public defender couldn't be her attorney because of a conflict of interest, so they appointed her an attorney, but teh public defender ask for her to have an expidited spot in a group home. She did it like we didn't have a choice. The judge said to my daughter in front of me and my husband, you can spend some time in there to think about "WHAT YOU HAVE DONE, OH, WHAT YOU ARE ACCUSED OF HAVING DID" really sarcastically. Is that allowed? Can a judge even say something like that, that is basically saying she is guilty. I believe my daughter wouldn't have a fair trial in front of that judge. Also her court appointed attorney has not returned any of our calls, he waved her adjudication hearing, which I was told my DJJ she could of came home from, cause that is what they were going to recommend, I also read on DJJ's website, that they only have 30 days to get her in front of a judge for her hearing. Well her court date is 2 days past that 30 day mark, Is there anything I can do about this, I believe they are punishing my daughter by holding her in detention because they know they can't prove their case, because anyone could of signed into her myspace, and when she supposedly made the second threat, she was with her sister, waiting on the bus, so that was false. So they want to punish her now since they won't be able to find her guilty to punish her later, then told me I Would have to pick her up fromt eh group hom to bring her to her court hearing, she is in a group home 2 and 1/2 hours away, why should I have to pick her up, shouldn't they have to provide her transportation?

Thanks for any help
mizmel
**A: your kidding right?

mizmel

No I am not kidding and I am not an enabler, please don't assume you know anything about me, I am here for legal advice, not your opinion. If you have legal advice, please share it if not keep your parenting advice to yourself.

Silverplum

No I am not kidding and I am not an enabler, please don't assume you know anything about me, I am here for legal advice, not your opinion. If you have legal advice, please share it if not keep your parenting advice to yourself.
Hire an attorney.

Last edited by a moderator:

mizmel

**A: because there are numerous parent enablers that feel their son/daugher did no wrong and their little Johnny is being punished for no reason.
It just amazes me how ignorant people can be, just assuming they know other peoples situation.

It is still the law in the country that you are INNOCENT until proven GUITLY, not the other way around.

So PROVE it!

>Charlotte<

Lurker
It is still the law in the country that you are INNOCENT until proven GUITLY, not the other way around.
That's fine for the country, but the law in my house is if my kid gets locked up for being accused of making terroristic threats and the best I can come up with is "Well, somebody might have....umm....gotten into her Myspace account! Yeah! It could happen!" it's time for a serious come-to-Jesus meeting.

Your daughter needs more help than can be provided on an Internet forum. Hire a lawyer. That's your legal advice.

The people here also get to post their opinions. My opinion, for instance, is that it's okay to believe she might be innocent, but being determined and desperate and refusing to believe anything else is just asking for a lot more trouble. Good luck with that.

citizenXo

TBH the justice system has become a sick perversion of it's former self. America houses 1/4th of the world's inmates, a situation we absolutely cannot afford and created by a sort of "crime inflation" wherein more and more laws are interpreted to allow criminal justice personnel to micromanage people's interactions with one another. Depending on their influence as a vocal minority, they constantly attempt to influence the justice system to take more rights out of the hands of citizens and consolidate more power to enforce naive social norms into the hands of police officers.

Nowadays even a felony charge no longer requires any actual physical damage or harm to occur nor even an unconditional threat of serious harm to occur, but rather can be brought against absolutely anyone who anyone claims to felt threatened by.

Last edited:

CdwJava

TBH the justice system has become a sick perversion of it's former self. America houses 1/4th of the world's inmates, a situation we absolutely cannot afford and created by a sort of "crime inflation" wherein more and more laws are interpreted to allow criminal justice personnel to micromanage people's interactions with one another. Depending on their influence as a vocal minority, they constantly attempt to influence the justice system to take more rights out of the hands of citizens and consolidate more power to enforce naive social norms into the hands of police officers.

Nowadays even a felony charge no longer requires any actual physical damage or harm to occur nor even an unconditional threat of serious harm to occur, but rather can be brought against absolutely anyone who anyone claims to felt threatened by.
You resurrected a 2 1/2 year old thread to rail against the justice system?

Well, you're getting your wish - many states (like mine) are releasing tens of thousands of inmates (convicted felons) to local counties and eliminating oversight for all these released parolees and probationers. We anticipate a surge in the crime rate as a result. When all these inmates are released into communities already hit hard by job losses, they are almost certainly going to fall back on old habits ... the general public will pay the price.

citizenXo

A problem that could be cleared up by expunging their records, depending on what the crime committed was.

If a person goes on a murdering spree, just shoot the guy. Even if a person had some just reason for ending someone else's life, they still must be willing to sacrifice their own life to make their point. Live by the sword, die by the sword.

My problem is with what I consider to be anti-conviction or passive-aggressive empowerment laws.

You can't stop the person in the above situation from making their point. Once they resign to die, there is nothing worse you can do to them, and there is no way to know if and when they have made that decision.

So instead we try and jail anyone who displays any level of conviction in their actions and make any kind of confrontation a crime?

So we jail a large number of people with leadership and honest confrontation skills (people who will defend themselves if necessary but would rather not and thus confront people they disagree with in an honest manner)

Thus empowering the liars, cheats, and thieves to persist with their undetectable or ungovernable actions fully protected by the law?

ErinGoBragh

A problem that could be cleared up by expunging their records, depending on what the crime committed was.

If a person goes on a murdering spree, just shoot the guy. Even if a person had some just reason for ending someone else's life, they still must be willing to sacrifice their own life to make their point. Live by the sword, die by the sword.

My problem is with what I consider to be anti-conviction or passive-aggressive empowerment laws.

You can't stop the person in the above situation from making their point. Once they resign to die, there is nothing worse you can do to them, and there is no way to know if and when they have made that decision.

So instead we try and jail anyone who displays any level of conviction in their actions and make any kind of confrontation a crime?

So we jail a large number of people with leadership and honest confrontation skills (people who will defend themselves if necessary but would rather not and thus confront people they disagree with in an honest manner)

Thus empowering the liars, cheats, and thieves to persist with their undetectable or ungovernable actions fully protected by the law?
You are missing the point. This poster is LONG gone. Stop bringing up old posts to go on your rants.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">