• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Boat dealer did not pay off

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

yboytsov

New York.
A dealer sold my boat 3 months ago and still did pay it off (I am still making payments). he is giving me stupid exuses that someone did not sent a payment or was sick or something else. is there anything can be done to make him to pay it off. he took the title but never gave me any paper that the boat was sold.
Thanks.

HomeGuru

New York.
A dealer sold my boat 3 months ago and still did pay it off (I am still making payments). he is giving me stupid exuses that someone did not sent a payment or was sick or something else. is there anything can be done to make him to pay it off. he took the title but never gave me any paper that the boat was sold.
Thanks.
**A: why did you sign over the title without first getting the $$$$?

BoredAtty

Send him a letter that states that if he does not send your money (which includes the payments you made over the last 3 months) within 3 days, you will sue...and mean it.

The good news is that if the bank had it's lien recorded on the title (which it surely did), then the boat cannot be retitled until that lien is satisfied.

yboytsov

Send him a letter that states that if he does not send your money (which includes the payments you made over the last 3 months) within 3 days, you will sue...and mean it.

The good news is that if the bank had it's lien recorded on the title (which it surely did), then the boat cannot be retitled until that lien is satisfied.
I told him that in person, and that was about 2 weeks ago but still no pay off.
I am currently looking for a lawyer that can help me with this matter. I am afraid that dealer would say that they never sold the boat and give it back to me.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I told him that in person, and that was about 2 weeks ago but still no pay off.
I am currently looking for a lawyer that can help me with this matter. I am afraid that dealer would say that they never sold the boat and give it back to me.
You've already been told by an attorney:

yboytsov

You've already been told by an attorney:

Well then how do i sue them.
File a claim in a small claim court or something else?

Zigner

Well then how do i sue them.
File a claim in a small claim court or something else?
That would depend on the total amount still due on the boat (including the payments you've made over the last 3 months).

yboytsov

That would depend on the total amount still due on the boat (including the payments you've made over the last 3 months).
The pay off is 30K. and the money i paid over the last 3 months would go towards the money i owned them form before.

Zigner

The pay off is 30K. and the money i paid over the last 3 months would go towards the money i owned them form before.
This is definitely NOT a small claims matter. You should take all of your documents to a local attorney. In fact, you would do well to have an attorney write your demand letter.

yboytsov

Hi.
can anyone recommend a lawyer in NYC. thanks.

This is definitely NOT a small claims matter. You should take all of your documents to a local attorney. In fact, you would do well to have an attorney write your demand letter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">