• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help with emancipation in New Hampshire. Please take the time to read this.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NeedHelp411

What is the name of your state? New Hampshire

Please take five minutes of your time to review this article. Thank You for all of your help. Feel free to comment whatever, good or bad.

Hello.
I would like to be emancipated, and have my mother's consent. I have not consulted my father about the issue, but I think that with some convincing, he will agree.

My father isn't too much of a problem, and will sometimes help with issues. My mother on the other hand is always rude and degrading to me. She talks to me as if I am nothing, and will attempt to talk to me about issues, but will follow with a "that's ridiculous" and be completely closed-minded. Things haven't always been horrid, it started about four to six years ago, I do not remember exactly when. My mom had a new boyfriend, and all was well. One day, my dad, whom me and my sister stay with on weekends and wednesdays, came over to drop off some clothes. My mother's boyfriend, Jeff, stopped him from walking into the house to drop off the clothes. My father backed down and left them on the doorstep. Later than evening, my father called to say goodnight. Jeff picked up the phone and refused to let him talk to us, and somehow made his way into making death threats at my father, threatening to kill him. My father filed a report with the police, or at least that's what he said he did. After that, terms were bitter between Jeff and my sister and I. Things got better, all was well. Sporadically, he will get mad at my sister and I for literally nothing, maybe a remark that was undeserved. He will respond by hitting us. He has pinned me to my bed and choked me before, and he has pushed me to the floor. He has smashed my sister's face into the bathroom mirror. I am to the point that I do not even speak to him anymore when he is around. My mom is still dating him, has been for seven or eight years, and has no intention of breaking up with him. Every night he is over, about three or four times a week, I hear them saying things about me. Jeff virtually brainwashes my mother into thinking me and my sister are horrible kids, which we are not.

Things such as these happen on an almost regular basis now. One night, Jeff made a rude, degrading comment that he said was a "joke", and I got mad, and asked my father if I could stay with him. He said he didn't want to enable me to leave whenever. I got mad and hung up. He called my mother and explained what happened, my mother got mad that I was saying things about her boyfriend that he did indeed do once again. She said if you want to leave, leave. So I did, I walked to my Dad's house. He didn't let me in, told me once more that he was not going to enable me, and said to go home. So I walked around for a bit, and slept at a friend's house. The next day, I slept at a friend's house again. I wasn't speaking to my parents. Eventually, after many threats to call the police, and persuasion from the school counselor, who told the Department of Children, Youth and Families of the incident, I returned home, staying with my father for the weekend because it was his weekend to have us. The DCYF talked to my parents, my father has been fine about it, but my mother has been nothing but rude and degrading since the incident, about a month and a half ago. She will give me things, only so she can take them back. I honestly and truly think that my mother enjoys to see me depressed and/or angry. She triggers me all the time, I believe because she knows what gets under my skin. And my sister is like an exact replica of my mother.

On top of all of this, my sister, Lauren, has been nothing but trouble. She will tell my mother she is right, even when she is on my side, to get on my mother's good side. I am sure this will not play a factor in my emancipation, but I feel that it is worth noting.

I cannot live with my father, because his fiance, Cathy, will leave him. He is also gone on business trips often, due to the ownership of his company. I love Cathy as much as I possibly could, she has been nothing but good to me. Like a real mother should be to their child. No harsh words, only helpful, kind, motivating ones. I understand why she would not want us to live with my father. When she started dating my father, she did not think she would take on the responsibility of taking care of more children, since my sister and I legally live with my mother. And since my father is gone often, she would be left taking care of me (and possibly my sister) when he is not there. My dad also does not want to put this burden on her, since her oldest son is fully grown and leading a successful life, and he does not believe that she should have to take care of teenagers. I completely agree with this. On the other hand, I am a fully functional sixteen year old boy, and I am capable of supporting myself. Which is why I would like to be emancipated from my parents.

If I am successful in being emancipated, I will get a job, possibly two if one does not fulfill my needs. I have my license, and I am sixteen, so I can therefore get a job at most places, and make sufficient money. I think that the motivation of knowing that I am living on my own, being fully responsible for myself, will keep me on track with my job and schoolwork. I will work as many hours as needed to support myself. I do not have a job currently due to my parents not allowing me the use of my car. I have applied to a few places, but I have not heard back yet. I have applications waiting to be filled out upon the finalization of the emancipation, if confirmed. I pledge that I will be fully responsible for myself, pay for all and any insurance, pay rent, do well in school, and carry out my life as an adult would.

Are these good terms to be emancipated upon? I am considering turning this in to an attorney, to get feedback from a professional. But I figure it is worth a shot here, too. Thank you for your concern.

Thanks again,
Steve.

BL

Q: What does emancipation mean?
A: The point at which a minor comes of age. In New Hampshire, generally this is eighteen (18) years of age. Although, in NH there is no such thing as an emancipated minor. That means you're the responsibility of your parents or guardians until you are 18 years of age. See NH RSA 21-B:1.

BL

Yes, I found that in some places.
In other places, I found different.
Anyways, thanks for the feedback.
The other places would most likely be for parental support purposes , such as being in a cadet services .

I also seen where parental support could go to 21 if in educational school , or 23 in some cases .

Here you are talking about your parents emancipating you on your own.

That can't happen , legally .

And I imagine they could possible get into legal trouble at some point .

Last edited:

NeedHelp411

Well, looks like I'm going to have to tough it out for a couple more years.
Thanks a lot, you've been very helpful.

BL

Well, looks like I'm going to have to tough it out for a couple more years.
Thanks a lot, you've been very helpful.
Remember It's not what happens to you in life that makes you , but how you handle yourself when conflicts arise .

Keep speaking to your peers ( that are on the right track ) , and your school councilor .

Later in life , you'll be happy you did .

Also, your Dad seems pretty reasonable , talk to him about issues .

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Just to let you know, you are going about it from the wrong end. It's not, "if I am emancipated I will get a job". You will not be emancipated if you don't ALREADY have a job. It is, "I will get a job that is sufficient for self-support"; THEN I will apply for emancipation.

Remember, emancipation means that you and only you will be supporting yourself. You will need to show a judge that you are capable of paying for rent, food, utilities, clothing, school supplies, transportation, medical care, and all the other details. Even if you have a roommate splitting expenses with you, you still need to be able to show that if the roommate moves out or gets sick and moves back home or for some other reason is no longer available, you will still be able to manage on your own. I don't know where in NH you are but a quick search showed that even just renting a single room in someone's house with use of their kitchen and laundry is running $500 a month or more. Granted, most of those include utilities, but even so, I only saw two ads for less than $500 - one was $450 and the other included absolutely nothing but the room itself. Every other ad I saw was $500 or more. That's not counting any of the other necessities such as clothes or food. Again, that was just renting a single room in someone else's house. Additionally, the law in your state will not permit you to work more than 30 hours a week while school is in session, which means that even if you got a job paying $10 an hour (and less is more likely) it will take approximately half your income just to pay rent and utilities, nothing else.

It is by no means as easy as most kids think to be self-sufficient.

NeedHelp411

Thank you for the response.
Getting a job is not a factor right now, as my parents will not allow me to.
But as I was informed, emancipation of a minor does not even exist in New Hampshire.
I was not expecting it to be easy.
But it seems to me that me moving out is what needs to happen.

Thank you.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You can do that when your parents give you permission to move out, or when you turn 18, whichever comes first.

NeedHelp411

See what I mean about opposing truths?
I can't find out whether it IS or IS NOT possible to be an emancipated minor in New Hampshire.
I guess the best way to go about it would be to ask an attorney.
I found multiple pages that say it is possible, and multiple ones that say it isn't.
Anyways, thank you for your input.

Sbh052

I am really sorry to hear about everything you've had to endure. It sounds like my father. When I was 14 I attempted to become emancipated, in New Hampshire. New Hampshire does not believe in emancipation.

My best bet to you would be to find a relative you can go live with, that will be willing to take you. Then go and fill out the guardianship forms.

Just Blue

See what I mean about opposing truths?
I can't find out whether it IS or IS NOT possible to be an emancipated minor in New Hampshire.
I guess the best way to go about it would be to ask an attorney.
I found multiple pages that say it is possible, and multiple ones that say it isn't.
Anyways, thank you for your input.
There is no Emancipation Statutes in New Hampshire. Period. Therefor if you want to move out you have to have your parents permission.

Just Blue

I am really sorry to hear about everything you've had to endure. It sounds like my father. When I was 14 I attempted to become emancipated, in New Hampshire. New Hampshire does not believe in emancipation.

My best bet to you would be to find a relative you can go live with, that will be willing to take you. Then go and fill out the guardianship forms.
Children do not get to go find a relative to live with. That would be called running away...We really frown on children being advised to run away here at FreeAdvice.com.

Children also do not go and fill out guardianship forms...parents do that when THEY DECIDE to give guardianship to another adult.

Last edited:

LeagueOf0.20712

If you talk to social services they should be able to label your mother and stepfather as unfit to care for a child based much upon the domestic violence issue. If you want to push this route they might allow you to live with a relative instead of going into the system. Talking to your school counselor about your options would be a great idea because they know how the system works in your state, and it puts a respected adult on your side. Just a thought, best of luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">