• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tuition Reimbursement in the case of accident?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

anomancer

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

Firstly, thanks to all of you who might be able to help with my question.

My wife was in an accident in April (not her fault), and missed two weeks of school as a result. My auto insurance agent told us to keep track of missed school so that she could perhaps get her tuition reimbursed.

Things are back to normal now, and I am in the process of negotiating a settlement sum from the opposing insurance company. The company offered a sum for pain and suffering that we thought was reasonable, but refused to add in tuition for the two weeks of missed school.

I argued that because she was a medical student, she has no income and her tuition and education is, in a sense, her lost income at this point in her career. The company responded by saying, unlike missed income, the tuition was already paid and we would not be getting it back whether she got into the accident or not.

I have two questions at the moment:

1) Is there a precedent for insurance companies reimbursing tuition to students for lost time in the account of an accident or other injury? Somebody mentioned a Wisconsin supreme court case (Michaels versus something) but stopped mid-sentenced because he felt like he was giving legal advice (and he wasn't a lawyer yet).

2) The sum I am talking about is significant to us (about $1,000) but small compared to the cost of a trial. Am I out of options then?

I understand that this is not a place for official legal advice, but any information on precedence for question 1) and advice you might have for question 2) would be gratefully taken into consideration. Thank you all for your help!

FlyingRon

I am confused as to why you think tuition is income (it is an expense). Did she fail to complete a course she paid for because of the accident, then yes you can claim that. If she went on to complete the course, what is she out?

ecmst12

I agree, it would only be a recoverable expense if she missed so much class time that she had to repeat a course, then you could claim for the tuition for the repeated class or classes. But if she was able to make up the work and still finish the course, then you haven't lost anything.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">