• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

if I dont work then what

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jen01

What is the name of your state? il

I was in a car accident, I am going to need sugery done on my shoulder, I could possibly not be using my shoulder for a couple of months, and be out of work for 3-4 weeks. I am thinking about hiring an attorney, because it was someone that hit me. I live by myself, how the heck do you pay bills if you get the surgery done. If I dont get it done , will that make my settlement a lot less?

ecmst12

Hire the attorney. If you have short term or long term disability through work, or vacation/sick time, that will provide a source of income while you are out, though disability may need to be repaid after settlement. You will be able to recover your lost wages, but obviously not until you settle the claim which would be when treatment is completed. Your decision whether to get the surgery or when to get it should NOT depend on what kind of settlement you think you are going to get, it should depend on your medical needs only.

teflon_jones

Your first step BEFORE even thinking about hiring an attorney is to go through your own insurance. They will provide representation free of charge (assuming you have the appropriate coverage).

ecmst12

Not for medical bills (unless you have PIP or Med Pay coverage) and not for pain and suffering EVER. The only thing your insurance company will represent you for is if you are sued by the other driver. Since it seems the other insurance company has already accepted liability, there is not a lot OP's own insurance can do, unless she's got coverage for medical bills or lost wages, which it doesn't sound like she does.

jballidis

Get your surgery if you need it

The hardest thing for people to do is survive the financial crisis of an accident and need for surgery. The advise given above is good:

First,
if you need surgery you should be considering an attorney

Second
If you need surgery and have insurance (health) oir PIP or Medical Payments to cover it get the surgery. You will be a lot better off in the long run, case or not. I always suggested you consider if the accdident was your fault. Would you get the surgery then? IF so, then dont delay becasue you have a future case. Do what is best for your health.
Third Y
ou will need to plan our time off and how to meet your bills. Consider a loan from family, a friend or put a second on the house you own. If you have disability insurance use that. Sometomes an attorney can get you an advance. In all cases, planning is the key issue, because shoulder surgery can take 3 to 6 months to heal. Dont get looped into the companies that advance on your future case. They charge serious interest and you are left with little at the end of the case.

Hope this helps.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">