• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Purchase via E-Check, goods not delivered.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JeffreyO

What is the name of your state? Washington, (King County, Seattle)

I'm actually writing for my girlfriend. She recently purchased some health products through an offer, I haven't really checked into where the offer came from rather online or through the mail, regardless-- she didn't recieve the products although the bank account did have the funds removed, she waited weeks and weeks for the good to arrive, they never did. Later the account was charged again (both via e-check).

By the way, her English isn't great, she's an immigrant from Hong Kong and very young (20) she moved here about two years ago. I think this would play well into a case of misundersatnding/fraud.

Now, the bank account has been closed and all records have been maintained. First and foremost a claim with the government will be filed (I think the bank is handling the claim or at least getting it started for her, she'll be doing that later today.)

All of that aside, my real question is, assuming using the e-check system I can (or she can) determine the routing number/account number of the location where the funds were delivered, and the adress/information of the name (business, more than likely) of the person who opened the account through their bank, and assuming we were able to find this person, would she have a legitimet lawsuit for fraud? It's hit her pretty hard, she works two jobs, both pay just slightly above the minimum wage of the state, she goes to school, she's constantly low on money and to have something like this happen makes living that much more difficult in these modern capitalistic days. Is there a valid claim for fraud/personal damages here or am I just barking up the wrong tree and looking for trouble? Thanks alot... I've never even considered a lawsuit before but this has hit her really hard so I want to give a helping hand.

seniorjudge

She's been scammed and the person who took the dough is long gone.

Contact the consumer division of the attorney general's office.

JeffreyO

but the person who opened the bank account had to have credentials. I mean, there had to have been a photo ID and a SSN matching and two types of ID. Although it's not impossible to come up with this information it seems like it would be easier to track someone than difficult.

I do realize the scam and I do realize the filing procedure, that really wasn't the question. Assuming we can find the individual, is there a lawsuit we can file?

Edit-- I re-read this, I sound a bit snappy sorry. I didn't get much sleep last night =P. Basically, I'm wondering if, and that's a big if I know, IF we're able to find the individual who operated the scam, would there be a lawsuit involved?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">