• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Taxes at work....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

WesNyle

What is the name of your state? Michigan

Hello, my name is Wes. I work for La-Z-Boy in Mishiwaka Indiana. I live in Michigan (about 10 minuets away from the State Border of IN and MI. My boss refuses to take out my Michigan Taxes and made me file my W2's with Indiana... Now is this going to mess me up really bad and is he legally allowed to do this?What is the name of your state?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Your employer must take taxes based on where you WORK.
You don't "file" your W2 forms - your boss does that, and he has to do it in the state where he is located.

LdiJ

Your employer must take taxes based on where you WORK.
You don't "file" your W2 forms - your boss does that, and he has to do it in the state where he is located.
That isn't accurate...or at least not entirely. An employer is supposed to withhold taxes for the state/county where the employee resides, and may also have to withhold taxes for the state where the employee works.

In any case, what the OP needs to do is to file a non-resident tax return for the state of Indiana, and a resident tax return for the state of Michigan. He will end up with a hefty refund from Indiana, that will cover most of his Michigan taxes.

TinkerBelleLuvr

Hey, I know all about this stuff!

OP - first of all, regardless of whether your employer is taking out Indiana or Michigan taxes, you'll have to file BOTH Michigan and Indiana taxes because there is a St. Joseph county tax that you will have to file there.

Yes, your employer SHOULD be taking out Michigan taxes because there is a reciprocal agreement between Michigan and Indiana taxes, but he doesn't HAVE to. You'll have to file an Indiana return to get the Indiana tax money returned to you; then you have to file the Michigan return and pay all of those taxes. You'll have to file the St. Joseph county tax on the Indiana return.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">