• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lease Agreement.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Gblx%

What is the name of your state? MS

Here the situation. I signed a one year lease for an apartment. On the lease it first states Term of lease: Thirteen months (from march 07 to march 08). Then, Rent: The resident agrees to pay to the Lessor a rental of FIVE THOUSAND ONE HUNDRED/ $5,100.00 dollars. Payable as follows $920 on the first of each month.

12 months x $920 = $11,040.

It states in BIG BOLD PRINT rental of $5,100.

At $920, I've paid the 5,100 rental in 5.5 months, can I refuse to pay any more since I have paid (over) the 5,100 rental?

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state? MS

Here the situation. I signed a one year lease for an apartment. On the lease it first states Term of lease: Thirteen months (from march 07 to march 08). Then, Rent: The resident agrees to pay to the Lessor a rental of FIVE THOUSAND ONE HUNDRED/ $5,100.00 dollars. Payable as follows $920 on the first of each month.

12 months x $920 = $11,040.

It states in BIG BOLD PRINT rental of $5,100.

At $920, I've paid the 5,100 rental in 5.5 months, can I refuse to pay any more since I have paid (over) the 5,100 rental?
**A is your rent $425 or $920 per month?

Gblx%

I've been paying $920 a month. I am HOPEing to be able to hold 'em to $5,100 for the thriteen month contract. I dont know where the leasing agent pulled that number from... Maybe a miscalculated 6 month lease?

Last edited:

BoredAtty

Most likely you are obligated to continue to continue to pay $920 each month.

Clearly one of the terms in the lease is wrong (either the number of months, the amount per month, or the total amount). A judge would use evidence to determine which term was the typo, and then he'd rule accordingly.

Based on the facts you shared, it seems obvious that the typo was the total amount owed, and not the number of months or the amount owed each month.

Gblx%

Thank you all for your advice. I've contacted a local attorney and decided not to push the issue. I would like to say that I am not typically the person to try and take advantage of a mistake like this and do understand the right thing to do is pay the $920 rent. However, I live in an area that was hit very hard by Hurricane Katrina, many people in the area lost most everything, including jobs. Apartment complexes in the area immedately raised their rents between 18 and 25%. Thats hard for people struggling to rebuild thier lives to pay and if I (or anyone else) could take advantage of them, as the apartment complexes do the situation, I most def would.

Thank you.

HomeGuru

Thank you all for your advice. I've contacted a local attorney and decided not to push the issue. I would like to say that I am not typically the person to try and take advantage of a mistake like this and do understand the right thing to do is pay the $920 rent. However, I live in an area that was hit very hard by Hurricane Katrina, many people in the area lost most everything, including jobs. Apartment complexes in the area immedately raised their rents between 18 and 25%. Thats hard for people struggling to rebuild thier lives to pay and if I (or anyone else) could take advantage of them, as the apartment complexes do the situation, I most def would.

Thank you.
**A: you are doing the right thing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">