• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NY Residency Status

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

phatcat600

Hello,

I was hired for a job in New York City last September (06) and have been living in Houston for work since last November (06). I have an apartment in both places, though I spend 95% of my time in Houston. I have copies of the Houston lease, electricity bills (both in my name) and a TX driver's license and would like to file as a TX resident or at least part time NY resident. However, my paycheck is still sent from NY.

Is this possible? What steps do I need to take for this filing?

Thanks very much.

xylene

What you suggest (filing in TX) is possible, you suggest you are a texas resident.

You should consult an accountant with experience in multistate personal income taxes for the fine print based on your EXACT details.

IE are you WORKING in new york...

abezon

NY gets to tax you on money you earn while in NY; TX gets to tax you on all income since you're a resident. That said, NY sometimes defines "while in NY" in a wierd way, so consult a tax pro with NY experience when it's time to file.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">