• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Family history LOST

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ncnightmare

I live in North Carolina. I took the mini video tapes from my old camcorder to Ritz Camera to be transferred to DVD. There were 6 total tapes that spanned 5 to 6 years of births, birthdays, holidays, etc... our family history. Ritz Camera lost our entire order. The tapes can be found nowhere! They offered us $100 in store certificates to try and satisfy us. There is NO backup of this video footage and obviously can't be replaced. We have gone through the local news station and threatened legal action but there are still no tapes! Is this now a legal matter???? What do we do from here. I refuse to just go away quietly and I know if I made this mistake my tail would probably be cut off. Is there any other documented case of this happening? I have searched the web and come up with nothing so far. Please help.

John

xylene

I live in North Carolina. I took the mini video tapes from my old camcorder to Ritz Camera to be transferred to DVD. There were 6 total tapes that spanned 5 to 6 years of births, birthdays, holidays, etc... our family history. Ritz Camera lost our entire order. The tapes can be found nowhere! They offered us $100 in store certificates to try and satisfy us. There is NO backup of this video footage and obviously can't be replaced. We have gone through the local news station and threatened legal action but there are still no tapes! Is this now a legal matter???? What do we do from here. I refuse to just go away quietly and I know if I made this mistake my tail would probably be cut off. Is there any other documented case of this happening? I have searched the web and come up with nothing so far. Please help.

John
When you signed the tapes in you no doubt signed a strict limitation of liability to the value of replacement cost of the media.

Not the economic and certainly not sentimental value of the media's contents.

While this is tragic, you need to realize that you could have at least partially mitigated the loss by parsing your order, which is good sense when doing media processing of important material.

Good luck, perhaps it will turn up.

ErinGoBragh

I'm not sure what the legality of this is, but I have a story for you: I live in NYS, and I used to work for a major film developing company There was a family who went to Disney World and had a grand old time.. and then mailed their pics to the company I worked for.

Some idiot didn't know how to properly operate the splicer, and 500 rolls of film got exposed. This family's were on of them. The mother of said family called sobbing and threatening to sue.

They got to go back to Disney, on the company, because the company didn't want to look bad. So it sorta depends.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">