• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I get my car from a shop not performing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

John Se

massachusetts. I have a car in a body shop to to have 12k worth of work, I gave the owner 6k deposit 2 years ago and one excuse after another I believe little to be accomplished and now I want to just pick up the car but the owner is ignoring me and I cannot visit personally. I can send a rep company but what official documents will I need.

robsadvice

2 years, god lord! What is this guying doing to your car? I hope you have all this documented, ie work to be performed, a due date, parts, labor etc...

Why is it you can not go down and visit the repair shop, if I may ask? If this is a reputable repair place I would contact them (registered letter, in person, phone call) and demand your car back either finished or given proof that your original 6k has been spent so far on what?! Contact the BBB (Better Business Bureau), get an attorney, contact your Attorney General's Office, or threaten to sue (assuming you have grounds).

If none of the above applies you might be SOL or you will need to come up with a creative way to persuade them to help you out.

justalayman

You simply need to make claim of your car. You will be responsible for any work already performed and probably any special parts purchased but not yet installed (and you would get them as well).

The problem is you not being able to go there personally. If the owner is not willing to release it to a person you direct to retrieve the vehicle (after a registered letter stating your intentions and prefferably requesting a current accounting of the status of the repair so you can deal with that at the time), yo may have to issue a limited POA so the guy can act on your behalf (inculding contacting and requesting the assistance of the police if needed, although since this is a civil case, they may refuse to do anything). If that results in no good results, you may have to sue the guy for the return of your car and a settling of the bill.

The problem with that is because of the value of the vehicle, it sounds like it would remove it from small claims court.

John Se

it he were reputable I wouldnt be here

The guy is way ahead of me on money, I just need to know what documents does a loan reposser file, I am no different I own it and have the interest and want to siexe the car. Does anyone know about siezing cars in shops, probably buried in the back
thanks

justalayman

You are putting too much work in on this thing. It is your car. You want your car. Go get your car, or since you cannot go in person, send the guy a certified letter telling him you will be sending a tow truck driver to pick it up on <date> and <time>. If he refuses to release it to the tow truck driver, try first calling the police and telling them he is withholding your car illegally. They may stop by and take a look and tell the guy he needs to release the car. If not, then you are going to have to head to court and ask them to force the guy to release the car to your representative.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">