• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New car purchase items not disclosed...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

robsadvice

What is the name of your state? CA

Leasing a new 07 Toyota 4 Runner. It has more lot damage then what I would consider normal. (Dings, scratches, rattles, etc) I have a due bill saying they would repair it. They have since I've had it (30 days) repainted 3/5 doors, replaced the steering wheel (scuffed), repaired 1/3 dings, but now are balking about the rest. I believe they are realizing themselves this is costing them more then they thought. I have since discovered more issues like scratched up wiper arms, scratches in the radio face and gouges in the front window gasket. It seems like this car was either abused on the lot or just was mistreated by the staff when test driving/cleaning it. I also came across the vehicle repair history which showed 2 weeks before I purchased it the dealer sent it out to a third party vender to have some "paint repair done" and never disclosed this to me. If they knew it needed attention before even selling it why am I having such a tough time getting my problems resolved?!? I have set up a case with Toyota but since dealers are independently owed I have to go through them first. Do I have any recourse? I bought a new car not one that needs 75% of it's panels repainted? Plus I do not appreciate the attitude I'm starting to get from them having to keep going back to get the job done. My next stop is the general manager but I wanted to know if I have any legal recourse if I need to go that route. At this point I would like the car replaced with a new one not the refurbished one I got. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.What is the name of your state?

JETX

Leasing a new 07 Toyota 4 Runner. It has more lot damage then what I would consider normal. (Dings, scratches, rattles, etc) I have a due bill saying they would repair it. They have since I've had it (30 days) repainted 3/5 doors, replaced the steering wheel (scuffed), repaired 1/3 dings, but now are balking about the rest.
Confusing.

How could a "new 07 Toyota 4 Runner" have that damage?
Why in the world would you accept a "new" vehicle with that damage??

I have since discovered more issues like scratched up wiper arms, scratches in the radio face and gouges in the front window gasket.
Why do you keep finding MORE problems?? Wouldn't it be prudent to do a COMPLETE check of the vehicle at one time and list EVERYTHING??

If they knew it needed attention before even selling it why am I having such a tough time getting my problems resolved?!?
Are you sure that you bought a NEW car... and not a dealer used one?? What EXACTLY does your purchase agreement say??

Do I have any recourse? I wanted to know if I have any legal recourse if I need to go that route.
No one can answer without YOU providing the CORRECT information. See above.

seniorjudge

What is the name of your state? CA

Leasing a new 07 Toyota 4 Runner. It has more lot damage then what I would consider normal. (Dings, scratches, rattles, etc) I have a due bill saying they would repair it. They have since I've had it (30 days) repainted 3/5 doors, replaced the steering wheel (scuffed), repaired 1/3 dings, but now are balking about the rest. I believe they are realizing themselves this is costing them more then they thought. I have since discovered more issues like scratched up wiper arms, scratches in the radio face and gouges in the front window gasket. It seems like this car was either abused on the lot or just was mistreated by the staff when test driving/cleaning it. I also came across the vehicle repair history which showed 2 weeks before I purchased it the dealer sent it out to a third party vender to have some "paint repair done" and never disclosed this to me. If they knew it needed attention before even selling it why am I having such a tough time getting my problems resolved?!? I have set up a case with Toyota but since dealers are independently owed I have to go through them first. Do I have any recourse? I bought a new car not one that needs 75% of it's panels repainted? Plus I do not appreciate the attitude I'm starting to get from them having to keep going back to get the job done. My next stop is the general manager but I wanted to know if I have any legal recourse if I need to go that route. At this point I would like the car replaced with a new one not the refurbished one I got. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.What is the name of your state?

Where did you get all the information you set forth above?

robsadvice

Confusing.

How could a "new 07 Toyota 4 Runner" have that damage?
Why in the world would you accept a "new" vehicle with that damage??

The dealer is claiming lot damage. I'm not talking major dings but things that can be fixed without painting. Some of the scratches however can not be buffed out so therefore the need for painting. I was told they could be buffed out.

Why do you keep finding MORE problems?? Wouldn't it be prudent to do a COMPLETE check of the vehicle at one time and list EVERYTHING??

Yes we did a walk around and I was told the items noted would be repaired. This is before I knew they attempted this before I even looked at the vehicle which is why I'm now suspect about the car in general. Can the problems be fixed, ultimately yes, but now my reservation is the amount of repairs it has taken and depth, repainting 3 doors already and they're still not done. Knowing what I know now I would have passed on it. The fact that they never mentioned it went through attempted repairs before I took it leads me to believe they were hoping I would take it as is, which I didn't, we aggreed to the simple repairs not a complete repaint.

Are you sure that you bought a NEW car... and not a dealer used one?? What EXACTLY does your purchase agreement say??

It says new car. Not used, not Demo, never registered before. I'm just a little disturbed to find that on top of all the work done so far to please me, work was done even before that without my knowledge. If I would have known it was worked on before my purchase I would not have taken it. I mean what must have been wrong before considering what was found when I inspected it?!?
No one can answer without YOU providing the CORRECT information. See above.
The actual question I'm asking advice on is whether or not a dealer has to disclose a "new" vehicle had paint work done which could compromise whether the car should be considered new? And second because they seem to think they're done fixing my car do I have recourse as I have a due bill claiming they will repair it to "like new" and I'm not there yet? Yes I took delivery of a car needing some after purchase attention, however they knew before they sold it to me that it needed it (contract to fix it even) and are now not holding up to their end. Buyer beware indeed, but something doesn't seem right about not having to disclose the repairs.

robsadvice

Where did you get all the information you set forth above?
I have a service reciept that shows the vehicle repair history from the service dept. The car was third partied out on 9/15 for "paint and body repair". I took delivery on 10/1. I was never told about it and it is not mentioned anywhere in my contract.

If I had known about the repairs it would have effected my decision on taking the car in the first place considering what still needs to be done.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">