• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

contractor worked on my house w/o my permssion

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jloffman

January 25, 2001

I'll try to be brief:

I purchased my first home, a condo, last year in Sacramento, CA. Dry rot was discovered 4 months later on my unit, and 12 other units (there are 17 total in my homeowner's association). The HOA (homeowner's association) had a contractor, Bixby Construction, make bids on the work for each unit. Then each affected homeowner had to sign a form either authorizing, or not authorizing, Bixby to commence work on their individual condo unit.

I work in real estate. I know that the pest company has a one year warranty on their pest inspection (which includes dry rot). So, I told our HOA vice president that I was going to have the dry rot repaired by the pest company, and I returned the form indicating my choice was to NOT authorize Bixby to work on my home.

While I was at work one day, Bixby Construction made the repairs to my home even though I told my association (in writing) that I was having the work done by someone else. This was two months ago.

Now, my association has paid Bixby Construction in full for all 13 units that needed work, and the association has billed me to reimburse their payment to Bixby. I refuse to pay, since the work was done without my consent. A contractor just can't come along and make improvements to one's home without their authorization!!! Now my association is threatening to take legal action against me if I do not pay them.

What can I do???

Jennifer Loffman
[email protected]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">