• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

17yr and 24yr old

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gm76

What is the name of your state? California

There is this person who, being at the age of 24, is currently dating a girl who recently turned 17. She was 16 when they started seeing each other. I do not know what activities they may have engaged in, but I highly doubt those two have engaged in intercourse. At most they probably exchanged kisses. Again I do not know for sure. The only thing I know for sure is they consider themselves to be in a relationship, as they have blogged in their online journals (which I made screen shots, etc).

I find it disgusting for an adult to be having a relationship with a minor. Can any legal action be brought against the couple, and who should I turn to? Thanks.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state? California

There is this person who, being at the age of 24, is currently dating a girl who recently turned 17. She was 16 when they started seeing each other. I do not know what activities they may have engaged in, but I highly doubt those two have engaged in intercourse. At most they probably exchanged kisses. Again I do not know for sure. The only thing I know for sure is they consider themselves to be in a relationship, as they have blogged in their online journals (which I made screen shots, etc).

I find it disgusting for an adult to be having a relationship with a minor. Can any legal action be brought against the couple, and who should I turn to? Thanks.
How about the child's parents, the police, CPS -

Any of these are obvious. So, who are you in this situation?

CdwJava

Perhaps letting the girl's parents know about this guy can be step one. If there is ANY kind of sexual activity going on, it is likely a felony given the age differential.

- Carl

ihaterenting

Not if he has parental consent... Why are you getting involved in someone else's life anyway. My Grandparents have 6 years between them and so do my mom and dad just because it irritates you doesn't mean that it's morally wrong.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
just because it irritates you doesn't mean that it's morally wrong.
No, but then again, this is not a MORALITY forum. This is a legal forum, and what the OP is asking about is something that could very well be unlawful.

VeronicaLodge

exactly, me and my boyfriend are 10 years apart (him 48 and me 38) but if we were dating and together when he was 18 and i was 8, that would be wrong, not just morally but legally too.

Just Blue

Not if he has parental consent... Why are you getting involved in someone else's life anyway. My Grandparents have 6 years between them and so do my mom and dad just because it irritates you doesn't mean that it's morally wrong.
Read the California statute. It is ILLEGAL for a 24 year old to have ANY sexual contact with a minor. Parents can NOT give consent to an adult for an illegal act. Do not post on this site until you learn to look up the actual law before spewing your nonsense.

California

§ 261. 5(b)-(d)
Anyone who engages in an act of unlawful sexual intercourse with a person under age 18 and the actor is not more than three years older or three years younger, is guilty of a misdemeanor

Anyone who engages in an act of unlawful sexual intercourse with a person under age 18 who is more than three years younger than the actor is guilty of either a misdemeanor or a felony

Any person 21 years of age or older who engages in an act of unlawful sexual intercourse with a minor who is under 16 years of age is guilty of either a misdemeanor or a felony
Up to one year in county jail

Up to one year in county jail or by imprisonment in the state prison (period unspecified)

Up to one year in a county jail or by imprisonment in the state prison for two, three, or four years

mike_lee

Good grief, your grandparents were married at 13, at least mine were. A 17 year old is certainly capable of deciding for herself.

CdwJava

Good grief, your grandparents were married at 13, at least mine were. A 17 year old is certainly capable of deciding for herself.
If sexual contact is involved, and state law prohibits it (in CA it would be a felony to do almost anything), then, no - she is NOT capable of deciding for herself.

- Carl

Just Blue

Not in California!! JHC! Do you people read?? IT! IS! AGAINST! THE! LAW!

Do NOT post if you are going to disregard the state statutes!

mike_lee

If sexual contact is involved, and state law prohibits it (in CA it would be a felony to do almost anything), then, no - she is NOT capable of deciding for herself.

- Carl
I didn't realize the CA age of consent was 18, the first California age of consent law was 10. Those randy pioneers.

If Joesph and Mary lived today Mary and Jesus would be traveling to San Quentin on weekends.
she is NOT capable of deciding for herself.
unless she wants to join the army go to Iraq and be killed, but she cant decide when to have sex?

Last edited:

CdwJava

I didn't realize the CA age of consent was 18, the first California age of consent law was 10. Those randy pioneers.
Different times, different values ... there was also a time in this country when ownign another human being was perfectly lawful.

because it once was does not make it right.

If Joesph and Mary lived today Mary and Jesus would be traveling to San Quentin on weekends.
Nah ... at least not under CA law as it is currently interpreted and prosecuted.

unless she wants to join the army go to Iraq and be killed, but she cant decide when to have sex?
If she's 17 she needs parental consent to join the military ... less than that and she can't. And, of course, she cannot consent to sexual relations in CA.

She also cannot legally buy a beer.

So?

- Carl

mike_lee

If she's 17 she needs parental consent to join the military ... less than that and she can't. And, of course, she cannot consent to sexual relations in CA.

She also cannot legally buy a beer.

So?

- Carl
So . . . I already lost this one. So I'll fill anyone interested with Cliff Clavin style utterly useless bits of knowledge. A soldier can drink on base at age 18. Japan is well known for it's vending machines and I've purchased a Fanta soda and some god-awful brew invented to avoid beer tax from the same machine sitting unguarded on the street. It warns minors they cannot buy beer and by god they don't. But the first beer machine I saw was in my Barracks at Sheppard Air Force Base.

Mary was 12 or 13 when she became pregnant. Which has nothing to do with present day California law. But, she'd be glad to know all kids in California wait until they're 18 to try sex.

CdwJava

Mary was 12 or 13 when she became pregnant.
And your source for this little bit of trivia might be ... ??? :rolleyes:

Which has nothing to do with present day California law. But, she'd be glad to know all kids in California wait until they're 18 to try sex.
Glad to know that you'd support fornication at 10 or 12 ... please stay out of my state, thanks.

- Carl

mike_lee

And your source for this little bit of trivia might be ... ??? :rolleyes:

Glad to know that you'd support fornication at 10 or 12 ... please stay out of my state, thanks.

- Carl
Well that kinda hurt my feeling there, you sure I deserved that? I have a big mouth and I'll step up and take my licks when I got them coming but i don't see anywhere I said I support fornication, at any age.

I was expressing my belief that teenagers are their own people. I was pointing out what I feel is hyporacy in America, on one hand a 17 year old is not cabable of decideng who she can love.despite 6000 years of history to the contrary. The court is ready to throw a 24 year old into the belly of the earth dare he touch her. Yet let her 15 year old brother commit a crime and suddenly he's an adult facing adult sentencing.

If you think I'm ragging on you I'm not, If you think I'm anti-police you're wrong I'm anti abusive police. I see you and other good police as part of the solution. I respect your reasoning power (though you are definitely one of the those left brained types. I think I'm the only right brained thinker on this board.

Last edited by a moderator:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">