• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NO WILL,NO POWER OF ATTORNY

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

daxton

MY MOTHER HAS JUST PASSED A COUPLE DAYS AGO. SHE HAS NO WILL, NO POWER OF ATTORNEY. SHE HAD A LIFE INSURANCE POLICY OF 2500 WHICH PAYS FOR HER CREAMATION, AND THE EXUMATION OF MY GRANDPAS CASKET SO HER ASHES WILL BE PLACED INSIDE. SHE HAS SOME CREDIT CARD DEBT, ALONG WITH FOUR MONTHS OF MEDICAL DEPT FROM HOME HOSPICE. SHE DID NOT OWN A HOME, A CAR, HAD NO MONEY IN THE BANK,NO TRUSTS, NO ASSETS BASICALLY. MY QUESTION IS DOES HER DEBT NOW GET CANCELLED BECAUSE THERE IS NOONE ELSE TO GO AFTER? HER PERSONAL ITEMS WOULDN'T BEGIN TO COVER HER DEBT, SO CAN THE CREDITORS MAKE US HAVE AN ESTATE AUCTION ANYWAY? AND IF THEY DO ARE WE BREAKING THE LAW BY TAKING FAMILY MOMENTOS OUT OF TH HOUSE BEFORE HAND? I APPRECIATE YOU TAKING THE TIME TO ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS - INDIANA

ALawyer

My condolences on your loss.

If she has no assets there is nothing to sell or left to pay creditors. You can take whatever property there remains (sentimental value only, I assume) out of the house but document everything with photos in case the creditors come looking. On the other hand if they have value then they should be sold and used to pay her debts.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">