• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Urgent!!! Help!!! $70k Car purchase at dealer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

david7979

Members,

I need your help!!!

On Oct 30th I have purchased a used vehicle at the used car dealership in Bridgeton, NJ called Bidic Autolines. Since I live in Chicago IL I had a verbal agreement with the dealership that I will not buy the car if the car has been repainted in any ways or been involved in accident. all carfax report came clean so I went ahead and made the full payment of $70,245 by cashier's check. I called my truck driver drive to NJ to pick up the car but told him to make sure to inspect the car. During inspection, he noticed that the car has been repainted. Told the driver to take detail pictures of the vehicle where it has been repainted. The dealer was closed so I couldnt talk to anyone at that time until the next day. I told my driver to drive back and do not pick up the car. Car has never left the dealership. I called the dealer this morning and told them that the car has been repainted and i do not want to purchase the car. They didnt believe that the car was ever been repainted. so I told the owner of the dealership to take the car over to MB dealer and have it inspected. We had an agreement over the phone stating that I will pick up the car if MB is stating that the car has no paint job or dealer will refund me the money if the car do have paint job. MB dealer stated that the car didnt have any frame damage or notice of accident but car has been repainted. Front bumper, passenger side fender and passengerside door has beenrepainted. so I asked the dealers to refund me the money again and the owner told me that he will think about it over night and get back to me first thing in the morning. But he never did.

I have talked to some people and they have advice me that type a letter explaining the entire situation(story) from day one. so that I have something in writing. I typed the letter and sent it to the dealer but still didnt get any respond. I contacted the local attorney who helped me out by sending them a letter as well.

dealership finally called the attorney back and told the attorney that they will clean up the paint and make it look better. and they still want me to pick up the car.

They have the car and the money. Car has never left the dealership and they are not giving my money back. Can anyone help me with this case? advice?

mike_lee

I know you had an agreement and it ticks you off to find out that it had been repainted. But it sounds like a minor thing if the panels were not replaced. MB is not known for robust paint. It was possibly even a keying.

You're in a good position to get a hefty discount. Just an option you do what you think is best.

RuGa

repainted..

As with buying a house or any major purchase, the following saying always holds true: Buyer Beware!
If you were buying a house you would have it inspected 'before' the purchase. By sending the money sight unseen you agreed to the purchase! Enjoy your vehicle!!

You Are Guilty

This is called "spot Delivery: and you have options.http://www.lemonlaw.com/spotdelivery.html

CONSUMER RIGHTS WHEN YOU BUY A USED VEHICLE
http://www.maine.gov/ag/dynld/documents/clg9.pdf

noy a great search but it's should start you
New Jersey+consumer protection+used automobiles "Spot Delivery"
http://www.google.com/search?q=New+Jersey+lconsumer+protection+used+automobiles+"Spot+Delivery"&sourceid=navclient-ff&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1B3GGGL_en___US219
Again Mike, 100% wrong. This has nothing to do with 'spot delivery".

If you're going to continue your attempts to give advice, at least trying to get it right would be greatly appreciated.

amoslieber

i am not an attorney so this is just my opinion, but I would suggest you get the car. The paint job decreases the value, sue for that amount and inspect it seriously for any other damage. since they have the car and the money you are putting yourself at serious risk of losing both. Take what you can now and fight for the rest later. If thye have it towed off the lot, then you will be in an even worse situation

amoslieber

There is no reason to assume that this is the case.

WHAT amount?
He believes that it decreases its value. he should sue for the amount it would cost to fix the problem. He would not have purchased it with a paint job for the amount he paid. Therefore it has a lesser value to him. Since he was mislead he can sue for that amount (IMO). Most improtantly he should get the car.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
He believes that it decreases its value. he should sue for the amount it would cost to fix the problem. He would not have purchased it with a paint job for the amount he paid. Therefore it has a lesser value to him. Since he was mislead he can sue for that amount (IMO). Most improtantly he should get the car.
He BELIEVES it decreases the value. But DOES IT? Not necessarily. OP cannot return the vehicle. OP CAN sue for what he BELIEVES the decreased value of the car is, if he has PROOF of the decrease. And, he still will not win.

amoslieber

He BELIEVES it decreases the value. But DOES IT? Not necessarily. OP cannot return the vehicle. OP CAN sue for what he BELIEVES the decreased value of the car is, if he has PROOF of the decrease. And, he still will not win.
I disagree but that's fine.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I disagree but that's fine.
Really? The everything I said in my last post was the same as you. EXCEPT, that our OP will NOT be able to prove that a repainted car has lost any value.
Look, for all "we" know, the repainting was done by Mercedes before the car was ever sold in the first place.

OP has every right to file a lawsuit - but he has no tangible proof of any decrease in value.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">