• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Omnipresent magazine scam?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwr5010

yeah so I just got the call from Tampa FL and these conniving pricks at “Omnipresent Inc.” got my debit card # and my stupid ass succumbed to their enticement. Ain't that a bitch. My question is if anyone ever managed to cancel with out paying and if the mags. and watch ever arrived at all? This shiesty comment is the one that made me cave," You may cancel but we just ask that you do not sign up with out canceling." I'm not sure how that can be construed, but it sounded as if I could withdraw whenever. Any advice?

Peace…thanks

racer72

Same answer as before. Do a search of omnipresent in these forums, you will find plenty of threads with the answers you want.

Lady_DLo26

Help me do something about Omnipresent Inc.

My first encounter with Omnipresent Inc. was Friday 2/8/08 at around 1 pm. I received a call from an 813- phone number. Knowing only solicitors and debt collectors call from 1-800 numbers, I typically don’t answer (unless they leave a message). In this case, a message was not left, so I ignored the call and got back to work. Later on, while at happy hour with some co-workers, I received a second phone call. I am in the middle of changing banks and thought maybe these calls were in some way related so I answered. I spoke to a guy by the name of Chris who informed me that I was the lucky winner of the visa sweepstakes. I had won a diamond watch and a choice of 5 (or so) free magazines a week. I asked him numerous times what my obligation was and even used the phrase “There’s no such thing as a free lunch!!”. He assured me over and over that this was “FREE”. I owed nothing to them. So I continued the conversation. I chose the magazines and the women’s watch. I told him that it was kind of an inconvenient time and asked if he could call me later when I could pay attention to what I was agreeing to when he told me that “our part of the conversation was done!” His supervisor was going to call me in a few minutes to “confirm” my choices.

I did not catch her name, but sure enough, Chris’s supervisor contacted me about 10 minutes later while I was outside with a work girlfriend of mine. Very politely, she confirmed all of the information I had already given to Chris. I again asked what my obligation was and she told me “nothing”. She asked me about my hobbies and at this point I was a little agitated. I had listened to these people for a while now and was still choosing. I didn’t want 20 magazines a month, but thought that at no cost to me (not to mention a free diamond watch and a chance to win $1 mil) it wasn’t too bad a deal. The last magazine I had selected (can’t remember what it was) was apparently the magazine that they asked for “a little help with”. I told her that I didn’t want that particular magazine then, to which she replied that whatever the last magazine was, I’d have to help them out. After all, it was only $4.60 a week. That didn’t seem that bad. It averaged out to almost $20 a month- not that big of a deal. So I confirmed with her my debit card information after she guaranteed that they would not charge my card. She knew the first number (knowing NOW that all VISA cards begin with the number “4”), so I assumed she knew the rest.

This is where my problems began. She then told me that “For MY convenience, instead of paying $20 a month for 48 months they would charge me $80 a month for 12 months.” I declined immediately. I did not want this offer. I was NOT about to pay $80 a month for magazines that I didn’t want that badly in the beginning. I told her I appreciated her time but that I was not interested and hung up despite her rambling about how great an offer this really was. She called me back and started the conversation with “Do you really think it’s smart to hang up on me after confirming your credit card number???” I was appalled. Did she really just threaten me??!?!?!!? She even said to me “Honey, nothing in life is free”. She even tried to guilt me into letting her complete the order. She spoke to a manager who would allow me to pay for the full 48 months thinking this would bring me back. I was done with this conversation. She became rude and was only getting worse with every minute. I asked her if this was a recorded line and she verified that it was a recorded line for “both of our protection”. I told her if she charged my card at all I would take legal action and subpoena their voice records. I hung up again. She called me numerous times after that. A bar patron overheard my conversation and pretended he was my husband thinking that maybe he would scare her as I obviously have not.

The next morning, I checked my bank records. As I stated earlier, I am in the middle of changing accounts so I knew that at that time, I only had a little over $1 in the account. Not only did the International Magazine Company” charge me, but they charged me twice, totaling almost $160.00. The woman at my bank canceled my card, noted my account and told me of my available options. She also provided me with the 1-800 # to IMC so I could dispute the charges. I spoke with a lady by the name of Amelia Hook. I explained to her what happened, told her that I was threatened by one of her employees (which was apparently from a different office, according to her) and that I would take legal action if these so called “pending” charges were not released ASAP!!!! She assured me that everything was being handled and that there was no reason to resort to legalities. I trusted her, and since it was Saturday, I knew there wasn’t much I could do.

I was at work Monday morning, when I checked my bank account to see if the charges were released, and sure enough, they were not. I contacted my bank to find out what was needed to have this done. I needed a “Merchant Error Letter” from IMC/Omnipresent. I called Amelia to let her know what I needed. She seemed a little annoyed but complied. The first fax that she submitted had the wrong amount on it. It was for $80. She told me that this was there “automated draft” and forgot to update it for my case. This tells me that this happens very often, seeing as they have a generated letter for such circumstances. Anyhow, I asked her to forward the correct fax to me, as well. I submitted the letter myself; to make sure it was done. I spent the whole day going back and forth calling my bank and Amelia. Now, I’m behind in my work. Amelia even told me that they don’t do this for any customer, so I was really lucky. REALLY? You call this lucky?!?!?!?

I have been informing/updating my mom this whole time and as she has been getting more and more frustrated, she decided to call Amelia herself. My mom found out that their main office is in Largo, FL (5 minutes from my parent’s house) and had threatened to go to their office if something was not done. Amelia told my mom that they would not give her any info as this was my problem and not my moms. They went back and forth for a while, during which, Amelia told my mom that I authorized this transaction then changed my mind (I guess it’s not okay to change your mind, but it is ok to change a verbal contract, as they called it). As Amelia was putting my mom on hold, my mom overheard a girl in the background say “Just hang up on the bitch”. Needless to say, this put a fire under her ass and she demanded a supervisor and was granted one once Amelia knew what she had heard.

It is now Tuesday the 12th (4 days later). I am happy to say that this matter has been resolved but with MUCH aggravation!!!! How can companies treat customers this way?? I have read many stories/testimonials from people who were also dooped, just as I was, and in some cases, they were reported to collections agencies. So maybe I was lucky. But, something has to be done. My mother and I have been contacting news stations, the Better Business Bureau, and anyone else who will listen. We’re even getting information on a class action suit and what will be needed to at least make this company change their operations! My e-mail address is [email protected]. If you have any stories, suggestions or advice, we would be truly grateful!!!!

DinahTori

omnipresent, inc

so i do get the magazines they sent, but i tried to call and cancel b/c circumstances changed and i just don't have an extra $80 a month for magazines. i got told they can't cancel b/c they prepay for those magazines with a guarantee from me that i would not cancel. they would be glad to however lower the payments from $80 to $50, and i told them i don't have the extra money period, and they said they could lower it to $40 and that was all they could do. by this time i'm gettin frustrated cause i'd already been hung up on twice and i was startin to get bitchy. all i want to do is cancel the subscriptions, i have a child in school i need the extra money i do have for her school items, but they just keep refusing to cancel the damn thing.

kaeodala

how to cancel with omnipresent aka IMC

I BEAT THEM!

I went through basically the same thing but I was successful in cancelling!

This is what you gotta do:

1. As soon as you receive the packet in the mail with a confirmation form and the magazines they offer, write on the confirmation form "I DO NOT" and "PLEASE CANCEL SUBSCRIPTION" and sign and date it.
2. Write a letter confirming your cancellation.
(a) If you have spoken to a supervisor and they said that they would cancel it but didn't (which is what happened to me), be sure to include the date, time, and the name of the supervisor.
(b) Be sure to include in the letter the date that you received the packet in the mail.
(c) Make copies of both the letter and the confirmation form with the "I DO NOT" and "PLEASE CANCEL" written on it for your records.
(d) Send the letter and confirmation form via CERTIFIED MAIL with a RETURN RECEIPT (be sure to include the return receipt number on the letter so you can track it for your records) so that you know they received the letter. Make sure you send the letter within 3 days of receiving their packet.

After I sent my cancellation letter with the declined confirmation form, I got a call from them after 4 days of sending the letter. A customer service rep by the name of Amelia called me today to say that they are cancelling my subscription.
Just in case it doesn't go as smoothly as it did for me, file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and the Florida State Attorney General. Since you have the documentation supporting your cancellation, there should be no problem.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">