• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tax Consequences of Seller Carryback Loan

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ca2

What is the name of your state? Washington State

I am in the process of selling my business. The buyer cannot qualify for financing for the agreed upon price, so I am lending him $65,000. Three questions:

1) Is there a legal limit to the amount of interest I can charge? (We have agreed upon a 14% interest rate for 10 years)

2) Will I have to pay taxes on the loan as income?

3) If so, would there be any tax benefit to setting up a LLC or seperate corp to collect the payments, so as to offset some of the tax liability?

abezon

1. Many states have a usury law that limits the interest one individual can charge another individual on a loan. (Banks & certain other businesses are generally exempt from the usury rate limits.) Washington law says that an interest rate is illegal if it exceeds 12% simple interest or 4 points about the T-bill rate for the last 26 weeks, whichever is greater. Since 26-week t-bills are paying less than 8%, the max legal rate is 12% simple interest. Here's the official state site: http://www.dfi.wa.gov/consumers/interest_rates_law.htm

2. You'll have to pay taxes on the interest collected & will probably need to file Schedule 2 or B every year. Whether the principle is taxable depends on whether you set the deal up as a full sale & a separate loan or as an installment sale with the buyer paying XX% down & paying $65,000 plus interest over the next few years. You might want to consider what type of collateral you should have -- if you use the business as the collateral & buyer runs the business into the ground, the collateral is worthless. OTOH, if buyer owns a house, you might take out a junior lien. I doubt the buyer has enough equity to fully secure the lien, but the house might be worth enough in 3-5 years to protect you.

You should definitely hire a lawyer to draw up the sale agreement & the loan documents & make sure any liens are properly recorded.

3. No.

LdiJ

Deal is set up as full sale + seperate $65,000 loan.

Is the loan then taxable?
Again, the interest on the loan is taxable income to you, and a tax deduction to the buyer. The actual principal of 65,000 is not taxable to anyone.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">