• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Residency for state income/federal tax help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nylamora

What is the name of your state? New York
My primary residence is New York. At the end of January of next year, I will be transferring to an LA office and be working there for 6mts, 9mths, 1yr-2yr don't know yet.
I will be keeping my apt in new york which is my home. I will not be signing an apt lease in LA. Since I will most likely need to buy a used car of some sort though, I will need to register, get insurance, and change my license to LA. From what I have read, once I am working and have a car registered in LA I am considered a resident AND if I continue to have a permanent place of abode in New York for more than 11mths and stay in NY longer than 30days I am also considered a resident of NY. So, how do I handle my residency for income state purposes since I can only be a resident of one State? How about federal?
HELP! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

nylamora

oh let me clarify. LA is Los Angeles, California. My payroll would probably be switched from the NY office to the LA office. I may come back to NY from time to time to work a few hours here and there but I think that would be paid as los angeles payroll and not definite. Or I may want to temp while in NYC. or just come back and rest and go back. It's a part time position and considered an employee transfer for the company. For me, I only want to be there temporarily since my home is NY. (I"m an actor and this is my survival job. I would be going to LA to cultivate tv/film contacts) The NY office said they would take me back so I would transfer back when I came back to NY.

LdiJ

oh let me clarify. LA is Los Angeles, California. My payroll would probably be switched from the NY office to the LA office. I may come back to NY from time to time to work a few hours here and there but I think that would be paid as los angeles payroll and not definite. Or I may want to temp while in NYC. or just come back and rest and go back. It's a part time position and considered an employee transfer for the company. For me, I only want to be there temporarily since my home is NY. (I"m an actor and this is my survival job. I would be going to LA to cultivate tv/film contacts) The NY office said they would take me back so I would transfer back when I came back to NY.
You would have to file a tax return for both states. You would be a part year resident for the purposes of both returns.

LdiJ

Thank you!:)
Don't try to handle your returns yourself this year....they will be complicated. Use a professional. It will honestly be worth it. However make sure, ahead of time, that whoever you are using is experienced in dealing with multiple state returns. Its not an uncommon situation so many professionals ARE experienced with that, but many aren't..so make sure that you use one who is.

TinkerBelleLuvr

At the end of January of next year, I will be transferring to an LA office and be working there for 6mts, 9mths, 1yr-2yr don't know yet.
ldij, I think he's okay for this year - it's next year he's going to be looking at two state returns.

I was trying to figure out if he was on a 'temporary' assignment, or was really moving his 'home'. It sounds to me that his tax home was changing from NY to LA. Keeping the apt in New York is really just a 'second' home.

nylamora

Oh interesting. So if my assignment lasts 11mths in 2008 my new "tax home" is la? Then I can deduct the moving expenses (since they are not paying for anything) and any travel back to nyc for auditions even though that's where I have my "home"? (I'm staying with a friend in los angeles not renting) what is my resident status for each state? still part year for each? or do i have to pick full year resident for one and part year for the other? or is each state going to claim me as a full year resident?
as long as i have a ny apt, I'm some type of resident, right?
and so the auto registration and changing of my license is not a factor?

I will definitely need help in 2009! Just thinking ahead so I know what receipts and/or logs I'll need to keep.
:confused:

TinkerBelleLuvr

OP - you are in one of those situation where it is worth paying for some time with a tax professional. You have so many variables on this that it would be hard for any of us to be able to give you everything you need.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">